This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Titles should be given to people with advanced craft skills, in the same way that an academic with a PhD is called "Doctor".

The levels of apprenticeships are "poorly understood" by the public, the think tank says - and introducing titles could be a way of showing people's achievements.

Sign of respect

Those who have vocational qualifications equivalent to a university degree could be known as "craftsman" or "craftswoman", the think tank says.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-47710512

• I don't have a problem with the principle, but if we are going to invent a new title I would rather it were gender neutral, like "Doctor", to use their own example.
  • Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    Don't we already have this - people who trained to be electricians are called, err  - electricians. Ditto for plumbers and bricklayers and carpenters etc, etc

Beyond that, the relevant bodies or guilds can assign whatever they wish - we've had JIB grading as an example for a lot of years from core, through approved to technician

All sound a bit hipster and rooted in the "maker" fads we are seeing emerge of late

Regards

OMS

• REME calls its private soldiers "craftsman".
  • As already stated, with regard to "electricians", there is the JIB/ ECS grading scheme.

It depends on the narrative of the age. In other times, a real craft skill and being seen as a master of it, was well regarded by society and well rewarded. Now, it seems, the pinnacle of achievement is Business Studies, Media/ Marketing and Naval Gazing Studies....and a lot of non jobs that do not seem to really achieve anything in particular, except to being seen as busy.
  • I have previously suggested that Technicians should have an advanced form of recognition such as “Master Technician”. We have historically positioned Technician as a form of “more learned craftsperson", although with a level 3 qualification the terms could be used interchangeably.  “Technician Engineer” (later IEng) offered an obvious pathway, before degrees became so readily available. However, we lost our way in this territory many years ago.

The solution adopted by our (Chartered Engineer) leaders was to position IEng “one step below” and Eng Tech 2 steps “below”, such that a student with some work experience gets “Technician” and a graduate with some work experience gets IEng.  This is based on academic levels, so a higher degree graduate with some work experience gets CEng.  The underlying assumption is that professional competence consists of a prescribed education, followed by vaguely specified “experience”.  

Discussing this issue some years ago with a Professor of my acquaintance; he stated “There is no reason why universities couldn’t award a Degree in Skills if they wanted to”.  Perhaps this would be a better solution?  

A decisive shift in the balance between vocational and academic career development has occurred in The UK and to some extent many other developed countries over the last quarter century. As it has become increasing “normal” to expect a person of average academic ability to be a graduate, with other forms of development and recognition becoming seen as “inferior”.  Vocational qualifications even at higher (Bachelors and Masters) levels such as those given by City & Guilds or NVQs which were never accepted in academia, have become overshadowed or even extinguished.  The International Engineering Alliance (of Academics) presumes that someone’s career is defined in university before the age of 21.  

I don’t think there is any way in which we could or should, undo “Academic Inflation”. It has become embedded into our culture. This commercial organisation is already well established in “Master Craftsman” territory  https://www.guildmc.com/ 

I suggest therefore, that we build a strong alliance; including some of the best Technical Colleges, former Polytechnic (or 1960s) Universities and Employers. Revitalisation of Apprenticeships is a good start and might ultimately lead to greater parity of esteem between vocational and academic pathways.

I would like The IET to seek a leading role in this , but we are hampered by other sister institutions and even a few of our own members, who are steeped in an “academic selection mindset” of “one-upmanship” and  have demonstrated bitter resentment towards any suggestion of parity of esteem. This was exemplified when “different but equally valuable” was ritually put to death by Engineering Council some years ago.  

PS Perhaps “Sapper” would be better, because everyone from a Private Soldier to a Major General would affiliate to the term with pride. Other terms like Craft, Clerk, Yeoman, Petty etc are confined to non-commissioned (aka “enlisted”) personnel who don’t have any choice but to love it.
    ?

PPS Naval Gazing? The quality of The Navy's Vocational Training establishments in renowned ?