This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

The Professional Status of CISCO "Engineers" and the IET.

Former Community Member
Former Community Member
The IET is a Scam-according to the CISCO "Engineers"!..
https://etherealmind.com/iet-cisco-engineers/
  • That blog post is over 8 years old, and seems to be a rant about a comment made by someone called "P.Eng" below another person's blog.

I don't think that anything there says anything about the IET's policy.
  • Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    It was 2011! I knew that in 2011, you just have to pay online to become an MIET. They have been confused with CEng and P.Eng. CEng is recognized in the UK whereas P.Eng is not. Not to be confused with P.E. in the U.S. and PEng in Canada!
  • The blog is dated 2010 and reflects some of the IETs efforts to modernise, by more fairly recognising forms of learning gained outside just academic environments.  This included working with leading employers to accredited the learning inherent in their training and development processes. A key driver for this effort was the statement in UK-SPEC about “further learning” for those prospective Chartered Engineers holding a Bachelors Degree. There was also an effort by members working in this domain to ensure that the IET was “user friendly”. One consequence was the creation of a new registration category of Information and Communications Technology Technician.  

Nearly ten years later, giving fairer value to forms of learning which don’t carry academic endorsement has become normal. Most other professional bodies lack effective capability to evaluate alternative forms of learning. A typical give away, is the use of language like “academic requirements” rather than “ideal benchmarks”.          

Dear Roy,

The post I was pointing out was not that one but what this CISCO Engineer was ranting about the IET Professional Qualifications:

:

David says

28th October 2011 at 20:05 +0000

"IET is basically a scam mad up of volinteers who give their

time to the IET charity. YES IET is a charity..

If I pay a fee to IET The Institution of Engineers and Technology they

will accredit my cat as an Engineer. This DOES NOT mean my cat is an Engineer

and my cat can not hold a job or be employed but in eyes of IET my cat will be Engineer.

The IET recognises everything and everyone as a “Professional” as

long as membership is paid and the ongoing yearly fees.

IET is a money making charity scam and with decline of Manufacturing in UK I can scrape

the mud from my shoe and they will welcome as a member and will call it an engineer. "

And this is highly offensive for a highly renowned British Professional Engineering Institution.like the IET!

You can object that it is only a personal (wrong) view but I know that this is only one of many others-even now !

The IET should make any efforts to safeguard its Public image!

• I can seek to understand and respect any reasonable compliant or grievance that someone might have with the IET.  As I have said before, everyone who wishes to express their professionalism through IET membership , will if they try hard enough find something to criticise or disagree with.  By definition professionals have expertise, ideas and opinions. Among other things, The IET enables them to promote those ideas and engage in rational debate with others.  If someone chooses to throw abuse instead, then it says more about them than the IET. Perhaps this person has a particularly high opinion of their cat? ?    

I will tell you a story....

...In 2003, when MIEE delink from CEng.....My brother is also an engineer...and I just click into the computer online....my brother becomes an MIEE....no degree certificate had been uploaded...and IEE had not seen my brother...and both our IEE membership fees were reduced by half....and the story goes....:-)
  • Sorry for the spelling typo in the previous post.

The IET has a team of people who ensure that membership requirements are met and for Engineering Council Registration there is a very thorough process subjected to layers of external audit.  Membership of the IET is open to anyone, although there are rules about the different categories, such as TMIET and MIET.

I have no information about what the IEE did in 2003.  However, I can confirm that member number of 324 of The Society of Telegraph-Engineers and Electricians was admitted in February 1885, having been proposed by three members. He was described as a “well known inventor”.  This person subsequently became friendly with Sir William Thomson (Later Lord Kelvin) who subsequently recommended him to ICE and IMechE on a similar basis. Incidentally this person left formal education at the age of 10 to become a Foundry Apprentice. I saw an Audi TV advert last evening on TV  which said “we didn’t invent the electric car”, which is true because in a rechargeable form, our member (probably) did.

What happened in 2003 is clearly currently relevant in certain contexts, like professional registration, because most registrants were admitted before then and many new applicants have qualifications and experience from an earlier time. However it may be some time before historians want to seek out 2003 IEE membership applications from an archive, assuming that you become famous. ?        

I think we are talking about different history.

I am talking about history of IEE, and you are talking history of IIE.....:-)

Roy Bowdler:
    Sorry for the spelling typo in the previous post.

The IET has a team of people who ensure that membership requirements are met and for Engineering Council Registration there is a very thorough process subjected to layers of external audit.  Membership of the IET is open to anyone, although there are rules about the different categories, such as TMIET and MIET.

I have no information about what the IEE did in 2003.  However, I can confirm that member number of 324 of The Society of Telegraph-Engineers and Electricians was admitted in February 1885, having been proposed by three members. He was described as a “well known inventor”.  This person subsequently became friendly with Sir William Thomson (Later Lord Kelvin) who subsequently recommended him to ICE and IMechE on a similar basis. Incidentally this person left formal education at the age of 10 to become a Foundry Apprentice. I saw an Audi TV advert last evening on TV  which said “we didn’t invent the electric car”, which is true because in a rechargeable form, our member (probably) did.

What happened in 2003 is clearly currently relevant in certain contexts, like professional registration, because most registrants were admitted before then and many new applicants have qualifications and experience from an earlier time. However it may be some time before historians want to seek out 2003 IEE membership applications from an archive, assuming that you become famous. ?      

https://archive.org/details/journalsocietyt01unkngoog/page/n6

Apps & Software

Here Are 5 Reasons Why You Might Suck at Programming

Do you hate your life as a programmer? Perhaps it is because you aren't very good at it?
    https://interestingengineering.com/here-are-5-reasons-why-you-might-suck-at-programming

But also!...
    https://interestingengineering.com/millions-of-smartphones-to-lose-whatsapp-support