This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Transcripts

Former Community Member
Former Community Member
Good evening. 

Before to write this topic, I passed through the forum but I did not find what I am looking for. 

I'm working on my Ceng application and I know I have to provide education certificate and transcripts.

I would like to know:

1 - what are transcripts exactly?

2 - My education certificate has to be official translate, in case it is not in English?

Thank you for your help.
  • Andrea,

Transcripts - A very good question and one I was asked only a couple of weeks ago and couldn't answer at the time, but was able to find out.

When you are awarded a degree you receive a certificate which is the evidence of the award. However there are instances where you need some evidence of your academic achievements prior to the award of the degree (e.g. you are applying for a job and have an interview, or even start a job, before the Graduation Ceremony) so you don't have the Certificate but can apply to the University for an official 'Transcript' which will identify the marks achieved in the modules so far completed. I believe the official name is 'Education Transcript' and if you do an on-line search for this title you will find a reasonable amount of information about it.

In terms of Registration it will not normally apply, but could be relevant if you are doing a post-graduate degree (e.g. PhD) or in some other instances I can think of, but will be far from usual.

With regard to the degree certificate not being in English, this is a question you should ask directly to the Registration and Standards group at IET. My personal feeling is that the original is what is important, and if you provide your own unofficial translation to help it will be appreciated, but as I say, that is only my opinion.

Best wishes for your application.

Alasdair
  • Andrea, your record of study not just the certificate.  I don't think an official translation is required, although some people have one for other reasons. I expect that the IET staff would only request something like that, if they felt that it was necessary. They will be concerned to ensure that whatever you send in is a genuine copy. They also want to give your qualification any additional value that it may deserve under Engineering Council rules. The rules around what counts as a "standard route" qualification are quite detailed. I don't think there is much point in trying to explain this, since you can't change what you studied ,but in some circumstances degrees are only accredited with specific modules, if elements were passed at the first attempt ,if grades were above a certain level etc. 

Fortunately the IET will assess your career achievement as a whole in accordance with UK-SPEC, but it has to report to Engineering Council (and is audited) on the basis of who has a "standard" qualification and who is "individual". This was discussed in the thread   CEng registration route help - individual route needed?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transcript_(education)

• When I got my Bachelor's degree certificate, it also came with a rather scruffy printout of all the individual modules I had taken (and passed) over the course of the degree.  I guess that would be a transcript.
  • Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    You should ask your [university|college] department for a detailed transcript of your academic achievements relating to your [degree|diploma|certificate] on official headed letter, with name of [university|college] and contact details.

Subjects and grades should be listed; and lastly signed by your head of dept. with the official [university|college] stamp.

Ask for two original signed letters, in case you lose one in transit - if you are asked to send an original.

Hope that helps.
  • Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    In some countries, a supplement to the diploma/degree is called a transcript or academic transcript. In the European ECTS system, a Transcript of Records (ToR) is used to document the performance of a student over a certain period of time by listing all the modules or subjects you studied in each year, the marks or grades you achieved for each module and the credit value and level of each module. It is an essential tool for academic recognition.

In the US it also may list the accrediting agency name.

It should be stamped and signed by the registry of your previous institution and be on official paper. If you do not have an academic transcript you will need to contact your previous institution to request one.

It's also used for credit transfer when applying to other universities or institutes. 

Moshe M Waserman BEET, MCGI, CEng MBCS, MIET
  • The Engineering Council require the application and any supporting documents to be in English, so a translation may be required.  I suggest dropping an e-mail to profreg@theiet.org and they can explain the requirements and provide details on the requirement.