This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

IEng Interview Presentation

Former Community Member
Former Community Member
Good afternoon All,

I've been informed of the date for my IEng interview - but i've got just one area i am unsure about, and that's the 15 minute presentation i've to provide at the start of this interview.

I've tried looking all over the internet for examples of interview presentations, just to get a feel for the sort of "look" they should have, and what balance of text/images, and details of text written on them.

Does anyone know of any examples online? I just want to make sure i get the structure and level of detail / infomation etc correct. I don't want it to end up looking over technical, or missing the type of infomation the interviewers would want to see.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated!

Lee.
  • Hi Lee,

There is a video on IET.tv that explains the basics of the interview: https://www.theiet.org/career/professional-registration/getting-help-with-your-application/your-professional-review-interview/ along with the guidance notes.

We suggest a STAR model response, that is Situation, Task, Action, Result - as this can help you to structure the presentation to explain the A & B competences, which is what you should focus on.  I would recommend one or two technical projects/solutions that you have worked on rather than a general career discussion as well, as this is what the interviewers will be looking for.

You don't have to use powerpoint, although many people do, and if you can bring a visual into the interview this can help explain what you are doing in a more tangible sense which often helps.

Hopefully that will give you a few hints on places to start.

• Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    Thanks for that Kathryn, 

I've watched the video a couple of times - most of it seems straight forward with exception of the presentation aspect.

I have opted for the power point presentation mode, as i mainly work in design and im doing the interview over webcam as im abroad. Either way, bringing a physical example would be difficult.

I will do some research on your idea of the STAR model, that seems an easy enough idea to understand. And it would fit nicely into my area of work (design). Thanks for your help!

• Lee Berrey:

......what balance of text/images, and details of text written on them......

Lee.

Lee,

The big problem with Powerpoint is everybody does it differently. What you need to do is have something you are comfortable with. My only advice is don't fill the slides with text and then read them out. The slides should amplify what you are talking about, not repeat it. I personally try to balance pictures and text but if there are no relevant pictures then am not worried if a slide is all text (provided there is not too much of it).

I would suggest that you talk over what you are going to present with a PRA and have a practice in giving the presentation to somebody (ideally this would be the PRA but as PRAs are volunteers he/she may not have the time/opportunity). You may then get some constructive comments that can be incorporated before the interview.

If you need further clarification on anything, don't be afraid to post the question - you will find everyone on this forum will be willing to offer advice (albeit sometimes conflicting....)

Alasdair

Thanks Alasdair. I shall keep those points in mind.
    I also forgot to mention everyone,

I work in design, so if i use some of my designs in the presentation - can i use any design (even if it has not been installed yet), or should i stick to only projects that have already been completed?
  • Lee,

You can use any design, even those not installed, but if you do, how are you going to cope with the question "....and what was the outcome?"

Alasdair
    That's a true point Alasdair, however the majority of my more "interesting" projects have only just gone out to tender or about to start. I may have to use a mix of less interesting completed jobs and the more interesting jobs which have just started (but not yet completed).
  • Lee,

In that case I would suggest use one and you just have to work out what you are going to say the outcome has been so far. Various options are "I was therefore able to achieve a competitive bid which met all the Client's aims" through to "Through this I was able to submit a bid for an area of work that our company had not previously worked in."  The important thing is to have an answer and not say "I don't know yet."

Alasdair
    Thanks for that tip Alasdair. All noted!
  • Lee - first thing is not to stress about it. It is not a death-by-powerpoint exercise, but a focal point for you to present and discuss a piece of work that you are proud of.

The real purpose is for you to pick a piece of work you substantively worked on that helps get over your A&B competencies particularly ... just think 4, may 5 slides - not too busy.. just top level that allow you to talk.

what is the problem

what was my approach

what options and technical judgement did I take

what was the result

what did I learn

Lots of scope to bring in section C D & E material to support (planning, communications, Safety etc)

It is not meant to be an ordeal, but to help you relax by talking about something you are very familiar with and proud of.

Good luck