This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

How to check the education criteria for Chartership (CEng) application?

Dear all,

I just joined in IET UK as MIET, but residing in Singapore, and would like to work toward CEng professional path.

However, I obtained my BEng (Hons) in Engineering (Electrical) from University of Malaya, Malaysia, with First Class honor result back in 2007. I did not pursue PHD study (eligible to study with 1st Class degree) due to personal matter, and started engineering works after graduation, until now, which already passed 11 years.

I was told I need a master degree in order to apply CEng, but not sure where the criteria was stated.

Can any of you enlighten me? I can be reached via whatapps +6597two two two395, if you wish to contact me directly.

TIA.

-Alex Quah
  • Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    Alex, there are multiple routes to registration as a CEng. There are routes to CEng registration that don't require Masters degree.

It would be beneficial for you to contact IET PRA - Professional Registration Advisor. PRA will provide you with guidance. 

You can go to IET and  EC UK Web site to read about registration requirements and the standards UK SPEC.

You can asses how your experience and work responsibilities, education etc match the UK SPEC for CEng.
    https://www.engc.org.uk/professional-registration/

Also, read the attached CEng eBook, page 5 is about the requirements.

Good luck!

MW

• Alex, the Engineering Council have a webpage allowing you to search for the accredited status of your course. It seems that the Universiti Tenaga Nasional (UNITEN) - Malaysia has two courses accredited by the IET (Electrical and Electronic Engineering/Electrical Power Engineering) but unfortunately the University of Malaya only has a course accredited with the IChemE (at least for the time that you were studying) and both of them state "further learning required". However accreditation just means that the course has been assessed and non-accreditation does not mean that you can't gain CEng. As Moshe has said, there are routes to CEng registration that don't require and accredited Masters degree (stated as the exemplifying qualification - i.e. the level of learning expected but not necessarily the route by which the learning has to be gained).

I would endorse the advice to get in touch with a PRA who will be able to discuss your experience and your learning from the last 11 years and advise your best route towards registration. There is a page on the IET website allowing you to request a PRA (
    https://www.theiet.org/membership/profreg/find-advisor/), and note that they are volunteers so don't expect an instant response. When you enter your location it should direct you to a list of IPRAs (International PRAs) who will have experience in dealing with situations such as yours.

To echo Moshe, Good Luck,

Alasdair
  • Thanks Moshe and Alasdair, I am still new with chartership route. Yes I will get in touch with the local PRA with the Singapore IET branch.

Appreciate the answers well! Cheers.

-Alex
  • Alex,  I have now looked at your profile and see that you work for DnV-GL. As I have considerable experience in ship classification I would suggest if you don't have much luck with a PRA then drop me a line and I will see what I can do to help.

Best wishes,

Alasdair
  • Hi Alasdair,

Fantastic! Thanks for the offer for assistance. I am working on the UK-Spec to link my works toward the spec. If in doubt I will get in touch with you. Cheers!

-Alex
  • Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    Alex,

The IET has recently did an accrediation in London of the DVN GL Graduate Scheme.  One of the documents made available to the IET is Graduate Professional Development  Brochure giving details of the Scheme. 

Ron McMurtrie

• Hi Richard,

Yes, I am looking into the UK-SPEC now. Thanks for the info.

Cheers.

Hi Yung Lai,

Yes, I registered with BEM since 2010 and still the member of BEM. If this is the case I just need to comply the UK-SPEC will be fine.

Thanks.