Read the topic below and log in to post a reply!

Submission to Interview Time

11 Replies - 402 Views

• Answered

Submission to Interview Time

Posted by Oliver Sowerby on Oct 26, 2018 4:51 pm

I've just finished my application for CEng; got it approved and verified; submitted and paid the fees.

Does anyone have an idea of how long it usually takes from submitting your application to having it reviewed by the IET? Then, from there, how long it takes to get an interview?

Any advice is much appreciated!

Re: Submission to Interview Time

Posted by Philip Liston-Smith on Oct 28, 2018 2:30 pm

Hi Oliver, 
I was in exactly the position you're in now on the 10th June this year, I had my interview on the 20th Sept and was notified on the 26th Oct of the outcome of my CEng application. Comms was pretty good with the organisers and I was given a couple of options on interview days. Career Manager kept in step with my status. 
Good luck with your application!
Phil

Posted by Andy Millar on Oct 28, 2018 3:10 pm

Watching with interest as this question (how long from submission to interview) was raised at our LN AGM yesterday...along with the question as to whether anything could be done to shorten it. 
Andy Millar CEng CMgr IET Mentor / IET PRA uk.linkedin.com/in/millarandy

Posted by David Parr on Oct 28, 2018 5:17 pm

I believe the IET are a victim of their own success, because of the number of registrants being processed each year is continually increasing, and finding the right volunteer interviewers on suitable dates is never going to be easy. I think Phil's statistic of 14 weeks to interview plus a further 5 to registration complete is probably getting close to the best that could be expected (12 + 4) unless we add more staff and volunteers.
Best Regards, David Parr

Posted by Oliver Sowerby on Oct 29, 2018 7:17 am

Thanks for all your responses. I'm hoping I have a similar turnaround time as you, Phil. I'll update the post when I get an answer from the IET in case others have the same question.

Cheers,

Oliver

Posted by Andy Millar on Oct 29, 2018 9:43 am

Hi David,
Your answer is almost word-for-word the same as my off-the-cuff reply at our AGM! smiley I used that opportunity to ask more members to consider standing as PRIs/PRAs.
It's always going to be a problem in a volunteer based process: the people who would be ideal to act as PRIs are, by definition, very busy people who will find it difficult to devote much time.
Cheers,
Andy
Andy Millar CEng CMgr IET Mentor / IET PRA uk.linkedin.com/in/millarandy

Posted by Glenn Atkins on Oct 31, 2018 9:23 am

All,

Typically a candidate will receive a response within 4 weeks of their PRI, there can be delays if the post interview panel require additional comments from the interviewers or the case needs referral to RG (which is in exceptional circumstances).

We are continually reviewing our processes to ensure applications are processed in a timely manner.

An application from start to finish (on average) takes 22 weeks, where a candidate has been asked for additional information the processing time can increase significantly.    With improvements made in the process starting to yield benefits we are seeing the processing time coming down.

Glenn
Glenn Atkins Registration Operations Manager - IET

Posted by Oliver Sowerby on Oct 31, 2018 9:42 am

Hi Glenn,

Thank you for looking into it for me, that is very much appreciated. I look forward to speaking with you.

Oliver

Posted by Richard Carey on Nov 7, 2018 9:28 pm

While I was advised of a standard 22 week lead time, my CEng application I thought was remarkably smooth. I submitted at the start of July, was advised by email at every stage of processing and had my PRI scheduled for 7th September. 
I was advised of the outcome about 2 weeks after the interview, and received my certificate from the EC within about 4 weeks. 
I think the time to interview may vary a little depending on your particular discipline, as some are perhaps easier to find knowledgeable volunteer interviewers for, and also on geography for international applicants. 
Overall, I think the staff and volunteers do an amazing job with the registration process. 

Richard. 
Richard Carey BSc CEng MIET MAPM https://www.linkedin.com/in/richard-carey-7716b993

Posted by Oliver Sowerby on Nov 8, 2018 9:34 am

Hi Richard,

That was amazingly quick! Hopefully I'll have a similar timeline to you. My application is now with the pre-interview panel. Hopefully I'll have an answer by the end of the week.

Cheers,

Oliver

Posted by Oliver Sowerby on Dec 4, 2018 11:42 am

For those interested in this topic, I thought it worth updating. My timeline for application to interview was as follows:

Submitted application: 24th October > Confirmed progression to PRI: 8th November > PRI Interview date: 6th December

I was very surprised at how quickly I got an interview. A special thanks goes to Glenn Atkins at the IET who helped me a lot.

Hopefully I'll be able to update this post with good news in the New Year.

Oliver

Posted by Glenn Atkins on Dec 5, 2018 1:42 pm

Thanks for the kind words Oliver.   We have a fantastic registration team, so unfair that I should take all the credit.

Good luck with your interview, 

Glenn
Glenn Atkins Registration Operations Manager - IET

Share:

Want to post a reply? You'll need to log in