This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

What is Fellowship?

I'm not sure which forum this belongs in, this seems to be the closest?

A question, what is Fellowship in the context of the IET? Is it the recognition by the profession of somebody who stands out in their field, their profession and in general as an engineer and character? Or is it just a "supersize" membership.

As the only route to Fellowship of the IET seems to be by applying on your own behalf, it looks like the latter. There doesn't seem to be any scope for recognising those engineers who really do stand out, but aren't self-seeking enough to look for recognition. I know personally some engineers who in my opinion are natural Fellows but would never put themselves forward for this recognition.
  • Hello Alex,

The requirements for Fellowship are quite well defined on the IET website, and there are many different "types" of Fellow. Anyone who applies for professional registration is looked at with regard to Fellowship, and may be invited to apply. In my role as PRA, I tend to look out for what I think are suitable candidates although it's not particularly my role, but I'll suggest it to the Fellowship people and/or the candidate If I think that there might be an obvious case. Yes, most engineers have a problem "bigging themselves up", so I try to help them to do so when they apply for registration - I know many other PRAs do the same - that's why we are PRAs. :)

Maurice, there are doubtless some stuffed shirts in an organisation with 160,000+ members, however "natural wastage" should cure that particular problem in the long run :) The newly adopted rules around how the institution is governed are a refreshing wind blowing through the corridors of Savoy Place in my opinion!
  • Fellowship Criteria: www.theiet.org/.../fellow-criteria.cfm
  • David, what you are describing are the requirements for those engineers who are seeking out this additional title. That is exactly my point. Those seeking Fellowship and able to tick the right boxes will attain it. The truly great engineers I know would appreciate being recognised by their institution, but would not seek out this recognition in the way you are describing. As with registration, it is a sales pitch, "300 – 500 (max) word narrative covering X, Y & Z". I feel the whole mindset is inappropriate.
  • I can sympathise with what you are saying, however how would it work in practice? How does the institution monitor its 160,000+ members and identify who is worthy of Fellowship? In most cases, it has to be the individual bringing their talents to the attention of the IET doesn't it?

Regards,
  • The criteria favours someone in a great company or academia. 

Chris Chew
  • Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    I can not resist this topic, however I apologise for going off at a tangent! First the 'stuffed shirt' syndrome, this seems to go with the whole perception of 'higher office' for some individuals. Empire Building is still a popular sport. My real issue is with the lower echelons, in most Institutions, it is quite hard to convince non Members to make that first move into Associate or Eng Tech level. For example there are many electricians who would benefit from doing so. So often the decline to join is followed by the misguided assumption that the 'Institution' is Elitist!! At this point I get quite upset, there is a world of difference between that and Exclusive, and in my opinion many people get the two confused, none of the Institutions I am a Member of, are exclusive, however like most people, I would endeavour to be the best in what I do, if I am the best, perhaps I would be able to join an Elite group. There are many elite units who have trained and studied hard and long to be at the peak of their profession or duty, they are rightly applauded. I can think of many exclusive 'establishments' that are well beyond my grasp, either I do not know the right people, or my personal fortune falls just short of the required entry level!
  • Michael, I will grant that there is probably a problem with inappropriate perceptions, most likely in both directions. Did you have any thoughts on the original question?
  • Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    Hello Alex

From where I stand the issue is unlikely to affect me personally, thus I have not paid much attention other than believing one had to be nominated by other Fellows in the first instance (perhaps not in the IET). I feel it is complex once we start to dissect the good, bad, and downright glory seeking. I trust in the examiners to consider each case on its individual merits, I believe this does happen. In my opinion, Fellow status should be by invitation, or at least nomination.

Mike

• Michael, I am given to understand that in the IET, Fellowship is solely by application on behalf of oneself. There doesn't appear to be a mechanism for nomination.
  • There is a category of Hon Fellows. They are invited by IET.

Honorary Fellows are elected by the IET Board of Trustees. Honorary Fellows are:   

• Persons distinguished by their work in any engineering discipline falling within the objects and purposes of the IET, or

• Distinguished individuals whom the IET desires to honour for services rendered to the IET or whose association is of benefit to the IET.

Ordinary fellowship application will be evaluated based on your last 5 years significant development in your career.

For senior members that may be a problem.

Chris Chew