This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Professional Development Advice

I would very much like some advice on my professional development,

I am a time served Electrician with 12 years experiance and have been promoted to contracts manager, I have been in my current role of contracts manager for 3 years now and have worked on a numer of large scale projects from industrial units to HV installations 

Due to the lack of university qualifications I would very much like to get my skills recongnised and registered,

I have been graded by the JIB as and Installation Electricain and Electrical Contracts Manager but my goal now is to register as MIET and I would have liked to progress to IEng

Is this a realistic grading without the university degree behind me? Can anyone advise another alternative?

I look forward to your reply

James
  • Hello James,

You should qualify for IEng, its a matter of compiling all your evidence based on your work experiences. You will be surprised just how many of the competencies you can easily meet being in the role you've been doing. I've got a degree myself but it isnt on the IET list so I've included all my work experience, additional reading I've needed to do to help me in the workplace etc.

As a contract manager I'm sure your leading teams, planing work, creating RAMS etc this all helps towards you professional recognition, even reading the IET magazine counts. Make sure you sort a CPD via the IET site.

Good luck
  • Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    John provided good advise.
    Here is what I think additional action to take.
    1. get advise from IET adviser.
    2. log in to Engineering Council web site and IET web site. Honestly check how your experience and training match the UK PSEC 
    for registration as IEng. 
    Download the registration packet.
    If you are MIET you are already recognized by European Directive as
    Profession Title: Electrical and computer (technology) engineer   
    MIET is a regulated professional title recognised in Europe by the Directive 2005/36.
    MIET is listed on the part 2 professions regulated by professional bodies incorporated by Royal Charter-Statutory Instruments 2007 No. 2781 Professional Qualifications-The European Communities (Recognition of Professional Qualifications) Regulations 2007
    Also its never to late to earn a university degree, you may gain advanced standing so maybe need only 2 years or less, and new knowledge.
    There are many evening and distance education options as well. The time will pass any way you will get a degree and be able to better compete for jobs etc.
  • Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    ec.europa.eu/.../index.cfm

The link to the Name of regulated profession
  • To answer your last question first, yes you most certainly can. My background is very similar to yours and I achieved CEng a couple of years ago. I, like you, fell into the category of not having exemplifying qualifications which tends to be the traditional route for IEng/CEng applicants.  

So please do not be discouraged from pursuing your goal and achieving Professional Registration.

I would suggest that you first join the IET and obtain your MIET. It is a simple application process and you might be asked to provide further information such as an expanded CV. Once accepted as a member you will have access to “Career Manager” which is an online portal. Here you record all your details, initial professional development (IPD) and continued professional development (CPD).

Career manager can then be used to “pull together” all the details for your professional registration (PR) application when you feel you are ready. Alternatively, you can still do it all the old fashioned way with a paper application.  

With specific regard to PR what you need to be able to demonstrate is that you adequately satisfy competences A-E. These are fully detailed in the current UKSPEC third Ed. (free download) They are also detailed within the application packs on the IET website along with lots of other helpful guidance.

You should get a good idea from the A-E competences where you sit and what areas you might need to develop. Use career manager for building and recording your progress.

Also, you can use a Professional Registration Advisor (PRA) who are IET Volunteers who provide free support. They will help with feedback on your application in readiness for applying.

I hope the above helps and inspires you to go for it! Good Luck.
  • Gents

Many thanks for the positive and extremely helpful advice.

I am waiting on a call from my local Professional Registration Advisor so I will keep you all posted on how I get on

James  
  • All,

Jan 2017, where has the time gone! Just want to update you on how I have got on since. I received MIET recognition in November ( I decided to get married in the middle ) and have since started a foundation degree in building services & renewable energy.

I was in two minds of holding off from applying for IEng until I completed the foundation degree but have now had second thoughts and will hopefully send off my application before March 2017

James
  • Picking up on a few of the helpful points made.

Moshe emphasises the value of having a degree, if that opportunity is available. Although The IET is able to recognise the equivalence of learning gained in the workplace or through other less formal means, for  professional registration purposes, there are other reasons why an appropriate degree offers benefits and advantages.  John Dunning & Roy Stones offered great encouragement and good practical advice .

There is a long tradition of project and contracts managers growing “from the tools”, but also one of training programmes with part-time higher education, in the past these typically involved an HNC, but more have recently evolved to include Foundation and Bachelors Degrees. I expect this trend to continue with moves to increase the numbers of Higher/Degree Apprenticeships. There are also a proportion of former full-time undergraduate engineering students who find project/contract/commercial management an attractive option.  It may therefore strengthen your competitive proposition in the employment marketplace to hold a similar qualification, in addition to some other more general benefits.       

When it comes to applying for registration keep in mind that IET assessors are looking for an engineer with management capability not vice-versa. An engineer has strong technical knowledge and understanding, without the application of this expertise, contract management could be carried out by a QS or Construction Manager. I appreciate that there is overlap and even combination, but you are seeking recognition as a professional Engineer . In your circumstances, I would expect the UK-SPEC C,D& E competences to naturally occur, although part of E is a commitment to ongoing professionalism, so it is in your heart (or not).  Focus carefully on the A&B competence areas and the examples given in UK-SPEC.  Some of the B competences (B2 for example) have a strong design emphasis and can prove tricky for those who are more project management orientated.  For IEng this shouldn’t prove a barrier, but to anyone reading this with CEng in mind, I have seen this become a “tripping point” for some able and experienced engineering managers.

A couple of final general observations for other readers. It is often commonly assumed that the pathway towards becoming a professional engineer involves education through an engineering degree followed by subsequent experience. However, the UK has a long tradition of apprenticeships that involve an employed trainee being supported by their employer to undertake additional part-time learning through a college and/or university. This is widely accepted as the optimum for craft trades and was also “normal” for most technicians and engineers a generation ago. Although this tradition never died, we allowed it to decline, hopefully we have now learned from that mistake. Some academic courses are not so different, but with the academic institution “leading” and offering work placements. The IET has recently campaigned with the slogan “Engineering work experience 4 all”. I think that an important role for the IET (perhaps the most important?) is in continuing to encourage and support collaboration between employers and academics.

The possibility of being accepted for registration before a degree has been completed arises because the IET takes into account  all relevant learning and achievement, not just that assessed against an academic syllabus. However, I should stress that IEng represents “bachelors level” and is only awarded to those who the IET assessment process has validated as working to this standard. There is always an advantage in having a good formal qualifications because they easily answer questions about basic understanding, so for example an advertisement from a leading employer for an Engineer  in yesterday’s E&T online stated  “be educated to a minimum of HNC level in an engineering discipline”.