This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

City and Guilds MCGI

Former Community Member
Former Community Member

• Moshe,

I am sorry for resurrecting this thread.

I had been interested find out how to achieve LGCI, GCGI and MCGI (the Professional recognition awards) 

So two year ago,  I visited the only local centre to inquire. I even wrote to CGI UK who conveniently referred me to the local centre. I have not heard from them ever since. Every time i visited them,  they'd say they had not heard from the CGI HQ. I gave up. I stopped visiting them. 

On paper, I thought professional recognition awards looked straight forward.  Isn't that the case?

Is there another way?

How did you do it? 

• Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member

Kenneth, hello from the  USA.
    City & Guilds the regulations, rules change with the time.
    When I earned LCGI, GCGI, MCGI there was a different process in place, direct application rout. For example my Air Force qualifications, training and 5 years of approved experience in the technical role in the military made me eligible for LCGI in Electronics. I also hold Bachelors degree in Electronics Engineering Technology - Accredited in USA and recognized by my employers past and current..As of mid 80s I been an Associate member of institution of Engineers and Technicians so my connection to UK is going way back.I also studied in ICS UK in the mid 80s.
    The C&G award I earned was called Senior Award.

I had qualifications that made me eligible for direct rout application. Some people in the past also used portfolio rout that required interview in person in UK.

The C&G rules changed in 2013, the direct rout to the award was discontinued.

My GCGI and  MCGI in USA was evaluated by number of NACES member services and equated to US Bachelors degree and  Masters of Engineering.degree from US Accredited University. 

Today I understand the awards can be earned via approved centers.

Did you communicate with C&G about the challenges you get trying to earn the PRA award?

I always recomend if you can to get formal education to earn an accredited degree. 

Also depends onthe job, there is the option to take classes to bring your knowladge to higher level.
    https://www.edx.org/

Founded by Harvard University and MIT in 2012, edX is an online learning destination and MOOC provider, offering high-quality courses from the world’s best universities and institutions to learners everywhere.

With more than 90 global partners, we are proud to count the world’s leading universities, nonprofits, and institutions as our members. EdX university members top the QS World University RankingsRegistered with our founders receiving the top honors, and edX partner institutions ranking highly on the full list.
  • Moshe, hello from Kenya,

Thank you for your insights.

I have tried to communicate with C&G. In fact, I sent out an email yesterday. 

I do hold locally accredited BSc (Electrical and Electronics Eng.). I wanted to start from GCGI and move to MCGI professional recognition awards. I thought it would be a good alternative to validate my experience. I am really interested in MCGI PRA because it's universally recognizable. 
    I do not know of any approved centres or whether any allows assessment by correspondence/ online.

I am aware of the MOOCs and edX is a welcomed addition. Future Learn is a favourite of mine . Recently, they introduced programmes costing GBP 250 per assessment. The courses are also free. A statement of participation costs 34 pounds.

I would appreciate comments by those who have attained GCGI or MCGI in the 'professional recognition awards' era (post 2013).

Thanks

• Thank you for highlighting changes in the CGLI’s senior award arrangements.  I tried to find answers on their website, but discovered, as you have, that you are directed to a Centre.  I asked through the help link how one finds out how to apply for one of the Senior Awards and the reply came (within an hour), copied below.

The key webpage in their email is aimed at Centres or potential Centres, not from the perspective of the candidate (“learner” in CGLI-speak).  The document that they sent me is accessible on their website at: (cdn.cityandguilds.com/.../9200_Information_Pack_v3.pdf)

Also, the recommended route (in the email below) to contact Centre is not customer-friendly.

I have drawn these issues to CGLI’s attention, but you may wish to explore either the email address or telephone routes to find answers to your questions.  If your local Centre has not replied to your query, you should draw this to CGLI’s attention too.  

...........................................................................................................

“Thank you for contacting Customer Services at City & Guilds, Learnersupport@cityandguilds.com >

Using our website go to the following link:

www.cityandguilds.com/.../9200-professional-recognition-awards 

The centres will be able to provide you with information on the qualifications, fees, duration and availability.

Once you are on the above page, please use the postcode search to obtain a list of approved City & Guilds centres within a 50 mile radius that are approved to provide this qualification.

You can then use any search engine, e.g. Google or Bing, to find the centre's contact details.

I have also attached the factsheet for this qualification.

Should you require any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact the Customer Services team on 0844 543 0033 and select option 3

Good luck with your studies!

Yours Sincerely 

Customer Services

City & Guilds

Tel: 0844 543 0000 Fax: 0207 294 2413

Calls to our 0844 numbers cost 5 pence per minute plus your telephone company access charge” 

........................................................................................................

Good hunting - Barry Brooks FCGI

LCGI, GCGI and MCGI the awards equal to  Education, Experience (Employment), and Training. 

City and Guilds provides the meaning of the awards on their website.
    "Not sure what each of the City & Guilds levels really mean? Our quick look comparison guide tells you everything you need to know."

http://www.cityandguilds.com/qualifications-and-apprenticeships/qualifications-explained/qualification-comparisons

MCGI -    Membership (MCGI), Master Professional, Diploma

Academic - Post graduate

Fellowship (FCGI)

Academic - Doctoral

I also earned a Fellowship from ILM.
    FInstLM
    Its also respected.
    I need to renew my membership with ILM a City and Guilds institute company. But ILM by it self is not chartered.
    I allowed it to lapse.
    Need to renew.
    I don't think I would try it to get evaluated in US. Fellowship stands on its own.

If I want Doctorate I would have to earn it by doing the studying and dissertation etc.

Fellowship is more of Honorary award.

The MCGI in Engineering is equated to MEng degree and is more of a professional qualification, its accredited on level 7 on QCF.

Being awarded by Royal Charter and carrying academic value it not a Honorary but a Professional award.

www.accreditedqualifications.org.uk/qualifications-and-credit-framework-qcf.html

Here is how Senior Awards were labeled:

www.dalelane.co.uk/.../lcgi.htm

What levels are there?

Licentiateship (LCGI)

At the level of Master Craftsman in Europe and towards the level of National Vocational Qualification (NVQ) Level 4. There are currently over 70 routes to the Licentiateship.

Graduateship (GCGI)

At the level of a British Honours degree.

Membership (MCGI)

At the level of a Master's degree.

Fellowship (FCGI)

The highest level of professional achievement.

Holders of City & Guilds Senior Awards are entitled to use appropriate post nominal letters (LCGI, GCGI, MCGI, FCGI) and wear the approved formal dress of gown, hood and mortar board and attend the annual graduation ceremony.

• Moshe

:Last year, the Institute of Leadership and Management separated from City & Guilds and is now a separate entity (https://www.institutelm.com/).  Confusingly, C&G still owns the "ILM" brand and does the quals (https://www.i-l-m.com/).  New ILM is a membership and reserach organisation that is developing its own path in the morass of such bodies, under a dynamic CEO and a completely refreshed Board of Trustees.

I suggest that you take a look at renewing your membership.  

PS  I am a FInstLM

Barry Brooks:

Moshe

:Last year, the Institute of Leadership and Management separated from City & Guilds and is now a separate entity (https://www.institutelm.com/).  Confusingly, C&G still owns the "ILM" brand and does the quals (https://www.i-l-m.com/).  New ILM is a membership and reserach organisation that is developing its own path in the morass of such bodies, under a dynamic CEO and a completely refreshed Board of Trustees.

I suggest that you take a look at renewing your membership.  

PS  I am a FInstLM

Mr. Brooks thanks for the information.

I was wondering why ILM removed all the references to C&G on it web site, well now I know.  I also wonder if they will try to achieve Royal Charter.

I emailed ILM about restoring my membership.

Thanks

Moshe M Waserman BEET, MCGI, CEng MBCS, MIET

• Moshe Waserman:

I don't know if new rebranded PRA GCGI has the same standing.

I've been trying (recently) to work out how to get a PRA, as a step towards G/MCGI - but the C&G website leads you around in circles, and the Centre search is hopeless :(

I don't do regrets, but if I did, I would probably regret missing the August 2013 deadline for the old scheme :(