Want to post a reply? You'll need to log in
Applying for FIET
Finding a Referee
21 Replies
I am in the process of applying for FIET, but finding an FIET to be my Referee is proving a difficult process. I am the Chief Scientist at Inmarsat, and we are a medium sized company with only a few MIET's among us and no FIET. The space industry also seems to be a place where FIET's are scarse, as I have not managed to find one in the companies we normally deal with. Maxine Barker, at the IET, has suggested using this site to find an FIET who would be willing to help, and I would be very grateful for any support.
Hi,

Not sure where you are based.

I work in London and live in Nottingham.

Although I am not in your profession, I have helped previously and would certainly be happy to have a chat to see if i could help.

Regards,

Graham
ghill@theiet.org
Hi Graham,

Somehow I missed your reply and only saw it today when I was going to delete the posting (I was expecting notifications of replies to the original posting to but never got one).

I thank you for your offer to help, but in the meantime I did find an FIET that I knew, and got the process started. Last week I was informed that I have been elected and am now an FIET.

Thanks again and Best regards,

Marcus
Excellent News.

If I can be of help in the future please drop me a line: ghill@theiet.org

Regards,

Graham
Andy Millar
1740 Posts
Hi,

I'm in the same position, are there any FIETs - ideally in the rail or safety industries - who would mind giving me a hand (even just for a e-chat as to whether I'm in a position to apply)?

Many thanks,

Andy
Hamish Bell
124 Posts
Andy,
I've read your various posts to the forum. I'd be happy to review your application with a view to being your proposer.
Regards
Hamish
Andy Millar
1740 Posts
That is very kind of you Hamish, thank you. I will send you a PM.
Hi,

I am looking for 
any FIETs - ideally in the electronic or medical device industries - who would help me in my FIET application.  I can't find any FIET in the medical device company that I work for in Hull. I'd be happy to share my CV and experience with the FIET expert. 

Regards,
Felix

BSc, CEng
Kathryn Bain
387 Posts
Hi Felix,

As per the IET website: "On request, the IET can provide you with a Fellowship Assessor to support you through the application process.

Contact the Fellowship Manager at fellowship@theiet.org to be put in touch with a Fellowship Assessor."

Alternatively, drop me an e-mail at: mentoring@theiet.org and I'll see if there might be a mentor that can help you.

Regards.

Kathryn Bain

Hi Kathryn,

I just sent to you an email with some preliminary information.

Thank you for your promted response.
Happy to meet you!

Regards,
Felix 
Hello,
I am an academic teaching Architectural Technology - Are there any FIET who could help me with my application?
Thanks,
Masoud
Hi Masoud,

There is a page on the website with information (https://www.theiet.org/membership/becoming-a-member/join-the-iet/fellow-membership/become-a-fellow/) with a link to "contact a Fellowship Assessor". The link is slightly confusing as it takes you to the "Find a Professional Registration Advisor" page but what they want you to do is enter your details and select registration category FIET. An advisor will then contact you to provide the support that you need for a Fellow application.

Alasdair
Thank you for the link. I have been unable to find anyone with similar expertise. I wonder if anyone can offer any help or advice?
Kathryn Bain
387 Posts
Any PRA on the search should be able to help you with the application, it doesn't need to be someone with the same expertise.
I am looking for a reference that must be on my FIET application. I sent many emails but as my area is not the same as them, they have been unable to provide it for me. Could there be any solution for me?
Masoud,

I did not respond to your latest previously because I am not sure what you were meaning. As nobody else has responded perhaps nobody else understands the question either. Can you please explain in more detail what you mean - what do you mean by "looking for a reference"? Do you mean a supporter? When you say "my area is not the same as them" do you mean your location or your field of work? Do you have a person you are in contact with or is it a generic email address?

Alasdair
Hi Alasdair,
Thank you for your message.
I am looking for a FIET supporter. 
I was unable to find someone with the relevant field of work. Where I work no one has the FIET recognition too.
Please can you advise?

Hi Masoud,

I think that your best approach may be to request a fellowship assessor through the IET to help you with your application and discuss with him/her about a supporter. My feeling is that it is less important to have your fellow supporter in the same field than is the case for a CEng application, where there is a need for direct knowledge of your technical work. In the case of demonstrating the fellow criteria, there is only one of them that perhaps needs technical knowledge of your work which is innovation. The rest of them are more to do with your responsibilities, leadership. service, etc., which don't need the same depth of knowledge of the technical details of what you do.

If your fellowship assessor is unable to assist in finding a Fellow supporter then please get back in touch and I may be able to assist.

Alasdair
Hi Alisdair,
Thank you very much for your response.
I requested a review long ago but have not heard back yet from the fellowship assessor I found on the website. Please can I send my application to you and If you could help me finding a supporter that would be great.

Hi Masoud,

Yes, though the fellowship assessors you get from the website are trained by the IET in the requirements while I have not been so I can't claim to be sure of the right answers. I will certainly have a look and also see if I can help get a supporter. If you send me a private message I will let you know my email address to send the information.

Alasdair
I am in the process of applying for FIET, but finding an FIET to be my Referee is proving a difficult process. I am Director/ Engineer at QES Ltd, and we are a small sized electronics power supply company with only couple of MIET's among us and no FIET. I would be very grateful for any support.
Thanks

Regards
Krish Jeyanathan
Buckinghamshire
UK

Share:

Want to post a reply? You'll need to log in