This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

car phone problem

Former Community Member
Former Community Member

• Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    Hi! Would any of you super-intelligent individuals out there be able to help with regards to this problem: I'm currently working on an investigation into why some car-phones drop calls while the vehicle is in motion. I know the obvious causes are EMI, poor reception and possible hard-ware problems, but I thought maybe there might be some other causes. So before I go and do any testing, would any of you out there be able to give me some feedback on this? - It would be very much appreciated!

You might like to have a look into Doppler effects as you say that the vehicle is in motion. GSM (which I assume you are using) has a maximum velocity specification, but I think that it is rather high, at around 300km/h. Another thing to take into consideration is that while the vehicle is in motion, the channel that the signal goes through to reach your mobile changes very rapidly. GSM phones employ equalisation at the terminals to cancel the adverse effects of the channel (multipath, phase distortion, etc.) and it is obviously more difficult to carry out this process when in motion.

Hope this helps...

• Presumably this is a discussion about 2G mobile phones, the last one I had I gave to someone to use whilst in Uganda with a local pay as you go sim in it, I told them not to bother bringing it back and to give it to a local kid or someone else who looked like they could make use of it.

Nineteen year between posts is pushing things a bit!
    Posted by on May 4, 2000 3:11 pm?

Someone resurrected an old post :-)
  • People listern to old music, why not read old posts.... Although answering a problem with an old technology with an appropriate old solution is a bit outdated but then I personally hadn't considered the possibility of changes in carrier frequency reception due to travelling fast, (although doesn't explain tangetal / lateral movement). Now what about receiving signals while travelling faster than 300km/hr, something like a jet?