This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Cable Gland Sizes for Instrumentation Cables

Former Community Member
Former Community Member

I Have a number of different types of instrumentation cables but trying to find a respective Gland for these cables that I have below these include:-

1 Pair x 0.5mm2 Cable

3 Pair x 0.5mm2 Screened Cable

CAT6 1mm2 Screened Cable

2 Pair x 0.5mm2 Screened Cable

1 Pair x 0.5mm2 Screened Cable

CAT6 0.5mm2 Screened Cable

6 Pair x 1mm2 Screened Cable

Any possible clarification?

• Normally we just measure the outside diameter and pick a nylon stuffing gland to suit.

Assuming you are a metric fella, and not wanting to match older threads then a box with perhaps ten of each of the following will get you a long way, then buy more as needed. If you do not need the close packing, then skip the 12mm ones and just keep the 16mm and 20mm. Make sure you have the matching hole saws and washers. From the CPC catalog, other suppliers are similar.

It is not unknown to use a 6 inch bit of glue lined heatshrink to ‘plump up’ a very thin cable for glanding, also makes figure of 8 cables a better fit in round glands.

Mike.

b95304afa0e0e85b045c970dfb8752f9-original-cable-glands.png
  • Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    Hi Mapj,

Yeah,thanks for this I did have similiar sizes in mind as I was previously was doing the Power Cables which weren't to bad to work out but with the smaller cables its trying to find out the overall diameter of the cable so you can work out the correct gland required.

Jimmy2Rivers
  • The outer diameter is lay-up specific, so you need the makers data for the particular cable then, or probably more usefully on site, a pair of calipers.

So for example not all cat 6 cables are the same, but they will be similar, between 5 and 7mm.

Mike