This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Quiescent/Sleep Power Consumption of Home PC, Home NAS?

Hi, I was trying to get some help from my potential PC supplier about this, but just meeting bemusement. Perhaps there's more knowledge here.

In brief, I'm trying to spec myself a new desktop, and I'm trying to minimise its power consumption while not in use. Unfortunately, owing to a mismatch between my NAS supplier and Cloud supplier, automated transfer between them (using WEBdav) doesn't work, so I'm reliant on my PC's W10 “Task Scheduler” triggering a nightly batch job. Thus, my PC doesn't get turned off, although I try and choose the best sleeping options.

Overnight measurements of my old PC (very old and probably very poor power management) suggest it may be costing around £120 p/a to do this, ie it's using around 100W to “sleep”.

When I researched my NAS, there were actual measurements online, and mfr specs for quiescent power, and (this is for SOHO units up to 4 bays, nothing huge), suggesting a range of <10W to >100W in quiescent power. Over £100pa difference. I chose a Synology DS420j which they say is 8W with the disks stopped: Good.

So my question is - anyone with a modern desktop Windows PC, got any guidance or measurements relating to various sleep modes?

And any more specific advice relating to use of W10 Task Scheduler & Settings very welcome.