Want to post a reply? You'll need to log in  Having trouble logging in? Read our help guide
where does water vapour go in a house in summertime?
Question

What happens to the vapour created by drying washing in an enclosed space? I live alone now and use my attic lounge facing south as a drying room. In winter I use a dehumidifier to extract about a couple of pints of water, However, in the hot weather the dehumidifier is not required, with the windows and door closed what happens to the water vapour?

4 Replies
Simon Barker
950 Posts

In warm weather, it will hang around in the air.  Warm air can hold more water than cold air.

If the walls and windows are warm, condensation will be less of a problem, but the drying rate will be limited by how fast the air is changed in the room.  If it's too well sealed, then you will end up with a room full of warm damp air.

Zoomup
3516 Posts

The damp air is carried away in summer on a breeze of fresh air passing through the house with the windows open. Even in winter the air can be dry and still remove moisture from a house even if cold.

Z.

Thank you for your explanation that the air will be damp.
Washing day next week I will dry them as before.
The room has only ventilation under the entrance door which is minimum, so the next day, if the weather stays hot, I will remove the dry clothes as usual and switch on my dehumidifier which should then be able to extract the water from damp vapour in the room. The quantity of water extracted should prove interesting. I will report back the result.
Thank you again for taking the time to answer my question.
Andy C
37 Posts

I dry my washing in the west-facing conservatory which has a couple of windows with trickle vents. In summer the heat dries stuff in almost no time. In winter it takes longer due to the lower temperatures and in those cases I sometimes use the dehumidifier (there is electric underfloor heating but most of the time I don't use it or it's not needed). I've had no issues with condensation, but then I tend to keep my house well ventilated so the buildup of saturated air is minimised.

Share:

Want to post a reply? You'll need to log in  Having trouble logging in? Read our help guide