This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Do you use a device programmer?

Do you use a device programmer? If so, then which models?
  • A vague question, are you talking about microcontrollers, FPGA, something else?
  • If you meant microcontrollers. yes more than one.

Pickit 3 for pics, mostly, but I also have a home made one that pretends to be a parallel port and allows non-standard things to be done on PICs  when code protection gets stuck.

The Atmel ICE  USB to one for Atmel devices,

A USB lead for Arduino,  with occasional use of the Atmel programmer to un-brick.

a Xilinx J-Tag programmer.

Somewhere there is also one for the ST micro 'dataman' I think, but not  frequently enough to recall exactly the name or where it is...

What do you have in mind ?

Mike.

• mapj1:

Pickit 3 for pics, mostly, but I also have a home made one that pretends to be a parallel port and allows non-standard things to be done on PICs  when code protection gets stuck.

Ah, luxury, I'm still using a PicstartPlus which means running an ancient version of MPLAB and not doing in circuit programming!

But only for my hobby work, any programming in the day job moved to JTAG many years ago.

• For Microchip, ICD3, ICD4, RealICE, PicKitx, one or two other cheap variants. For STM32, an ST JTAG pod. For Microsemi FPGA FlashPro4, for Lattice FPGA the HW-USB-2B "Programming Cable". Many modern development boards come with built in USB debuggers.
  • mapj1:

I also have a home made one that pretends to be a parallel port and allows non-standard things to be done on PICs  when code protection gets stuck.

Is it a Willem programmer?

Andy Millar:

Ah, luxury, I'm still using a PicstartPlus which means running an ancient version of MPLAB and not doing in circuit programming!

That's a blast from the past. It's no longer supported by Microchip, but I believe that their newer models will not program some of their older OTP devices.
  • Is it a Willem programmer?

Not unless by some fluke he came up with the same design as I did. Essentially writing to the parallel port is used to 'bit bang' the programming waveforms and enable or not the 'high' programming voltage. 

My own C code calls IO.dll. Probably not really suitable for a modern windows machine, but I have the old one

M.