This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Challenge and investigate or accept the narrative; Are we loosing context and perspective?

How often do you read something and wonder whether you are being led down a particular path, or whether you are getting all the relevant information, and what do you do?
I read an article in the November issue of the E&T Magazine which prompted me to contact one of the magazine’s editors with regard to the reporting. I should say that many of the November issue articles gave me cause for concern on the messaging. I’ve included my correspondence and the response from the E&T editor.
What’s your view of selective data being presented because “its relevant to the issue it illustrates”? (ie the data fits the narrative).
What should we expect from the E&T publication (acknowledging that the IET is not responsible for the opinions expressed in the E&T publication)?
If you are interested, The Royal Society published the following paper on the subject of wildfires:
Global trends in wildfire and its impacts: perceptions versus realities in a changing world
dx.doi.org/.../rstb.2015.0345

Letter to the Editor on E&T Magazine Article
“I have been a member of the IEEE and IET for over 40 years and a reader of the magazine over that period.
I am writing to you as managing editor of the magazine, as I am becoming increasingly concerned by the lack of balance and omission of context in the reporting I have seen over time, from what is purported to be an engineering magazine, (not a political news sheet). This directly impacts the integrity of reporting and the credibility of the publication.
As example, I draw your attention to the Nov 2020 issue The Graphic; Forest Fire Fighting; and the graphic showing US fires growth.
I was interested in why the1988 start date was chosen, so went to the referenced website to check the source data. The full set of wildfire data from 1926 is shown in the graphic below, with the excerpt of the data used in the article (highlighted). While there is a caveat on the website for pre 1983 data, the information is readily available on the site and as such must have value, although it was not collected using the current reporting process.
This full information is important to understand context, and put the current rising US wildfire trend in perspective. There are many factors which contribute to and acerbate the size and extent of forest fires. Climate is a factor, as is land management through prescribed burns, ability to maintain fire breaks, access and managing forest floor clearing, many of which have been adversely impacted by the enacting of environmental legislation.
As an engineering magazine I'd expect the IET's E&T’s reporting and articles to fully represent the issue context and disclose all the relevant data. I hope you agree that this is important from an integrity perspective and to preserve and make informed, unbiased and balanced commentary.”
61f95277d7c2a99a351af441e5bb05f7-huge-image-20201118084018-1.png
Response from Editor (names and email xxxxx’d out)
“xxxxxxxxxxxxx and I have discussed your points with E&T associate editor xxxxxxxxxx, who put together this article.
xxxxxx has pointed out that the timeframe shown was selected by the National Forestry Center in providing the data to media, because it believes it to be the most reliable and relevant to the issue it illustrates. The same information was used by other publications, such as The Economist, in articles on the subject.
www.economist.com/.../the-area-burned-by-wildfire-in-america-has-quadrupled-in-40-years
https://www.economist.com/leaders/2020/09/12/why-is-california-burning
I hope this helps to explain the thinking behind this article. If you do have any other thoughts or would like further clarification you can contact xxxxx directly at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx”

• Unfortunately a large amount of the media follows the ‘Virtue Signalling’ agenda without actually giving it any thought and tries to ignore or cover up anything that disagrees with their view.
    There was quite a good thread on here, No Climate Emergency, which was locked by the admins after 100 posts and more than 4000 views. The thread then disappeared in the last forum software upgrade.

https://communities.theiet.org/discussions/viewtopic/807/25758

The Engineer magazine tends to moderate comments that do not agree with the AGW/CC message.

As you say, check the source material, see if it makes sense to you, look where the money is and then decide where you stand, don’t just follow the herd.

• I too am getting a little fed up with the virtue signalling too to the point whether I will renew my subscriptions to both the Engineering Council and the IET. 

There seems to be an increasing Marxist agenda creeping in the back door unchallenged, as with many other institutions.  It is difficult to challenge because it is all deemed so righteous and anyone who challenges must be evil and struck out of the profession, as I believe some have.

Overall, I think it would be better if both institutions just stuck to engineering (not social engineering) and not populist "Woke" agendas.
  • Thanks for your response Rob. I share your concerns and have also I've also considered letting my subscription lapse, but its important that all voices and views are heard, respected and able to be discussed rationally.
  • Ernest, I do wholeheartedly agree with what you say, however that is not what is happening, any opinion against the Woke, PC narrative is cancelled or blocked, no rational discussion allowed.
  • Rob, I agree that the odds are not good for alternative views being heard particularly in relation to this subject, but it's important that people act with integrity and courage, and are prepared to engage in discussion where data is manipulated or selectively used to support a narrative.
  • Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    You do know Greta is watching you - always watching - and she keeps a list

Come the glorious revolution, comrade,  it's battery factory number 3 for you lot - or worse the cobalt mines

Admitedly the glorious plan is a bit off course at the moment  - looks like Sars Cov 2 is going to do for us rather than climate change, and Greta is distracted by this - so you may be getting a reprieve but not a pardon.

Forward, comrades!

OMS

• IF you want an example of an ideology push  that is not climate science, look at the thread in the wiring section on the way AFDDs seem to be pushed in the draft of the latest regs, without much evidence that they do anything at all really in terms of preventing fires, despite more than a decade of them in the USA.

regards

Mike

Follow the money. Here in the US we have to use petrol blended with ethanol. Ethanol is made from maize - great for the farmers. Producing the ethanol produces more carbon than straight petrol. Ethanol free petrol which is necessary for garden equipment costs substantially more than the blend. Methanol could be produced more cheaply by the oil companies from the methane they flare off. Sorry - farmers are more important. Result food prices are up. 

If the forests were burned out every couple of years these issues would end. Years ago they had a fire in Yellowstone. The tree-huggers went ballistic. After the next rains the place was full of flowers that had never bloomed before - they needed the fire.
    mapj1:

IF you want an example of an ideology push  that is not climate science, look at the thread in the wiring section on the way AFDDs seem to be pushed in the draft of the latest regs, without much evidence that they do anything at all really in terms of preventing fires, despite more than a decade of them in the USA.

regards

Mike

How very dare you - standard committees have no vested interests - no siree, Bub - nothing to see here, move along please

OMS

• Anthony, thanks for your response. This is another interesting line of discussion, ie how "sustainable" are biofuels. Maybe you should start a thread to see what the level of interest is in the forum.

I had a quick look and found this International Institute for Sustainable Development Study,  A Review of Costs and Benefits of EU biofuel policies  https://www.iisd.org/gsi/sites/default/files/biofuels_eu_addendum.pdf ,  (updated). The subsidies/support for biodiesel in the EU in 2011 were around 0.35 Euro a litre, or equivalent to a carbon tax price of around 260 Euro/tonne CO2 emitted.

thanks Ernest