This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Generator with 2 x 125A Sockets to one DB

I have a remote location where they have now informed me they have been provided with a single Generator 3 Phase 415V 50Hz - that has built in 5 pin sockets (4) each with a 125A breaker.

We have a new DB that will require around 200A when operational.

If two of the sockets are used at the generator with same cable size, same length going to the single main isolator into the DB - as long as it is wired correctly (L1,L2,L3,N) with no crossover is there any other consideration.

I've seen it done elsewhere but I've been away from these kinds of issues and always worth asking fellow members.

• Yes, you may have seen it, I have seen it, but be aware that  it has potential to be  !""£"% !! lethal.

Immediate concerns if it is not under constant supervision.

1) Having made up your two headed lead, what happens if one (and only 1) breaker trips .

2) if one of the two leads is plugged in, but the other is not, then the pins on the other are live - so possible exposed live  connections ! Can you be sure that an unskilled person will realise this.

Then, what are you doing about earthing and earth fault detection.

Far better to split the outbound circuits across the DB into 2 groups, or to unbolt the side of the genset to expose the terminals that allow you to go in before the split (take a socket set and some big lugs). ~Chat to the genset suppliers, they should know how to do this.

If this is more than a weekend and you are not going to always be present while it is running, please DONT!!!

best regards Mike PJ