This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Cars, Football & Politics: The Art of Getting Things Done

As a project manager, I am often called upon to implement, improve, or take cost out of operational systems. I hear many opinions about what is important in managing such projects. These include getting the initiation right, e.g. making sure the business case is robust and the desired change can be delivered, or getting a realistic plan created, because failing to plan is planning to fail.

It is no doubt true that the science of project controls is very important and bringing a project in on time, to cost and with the planned outcomes and benefits does not happen without them. However even the best-laid plans can come adrift if people do not do what is required of them at the time it needs to be done. I have heard many times the adage that the most valuable resource of any organisation is its people, but recently I heard a slightly nuanced version of this that struck a chord. The most valuable resources of an organisation are the relationships between its people.

Having great people who do great things, on time does not happen without coordination and facilitation and I see that as my main role as a project manager. Sometimes too even great people need a bit of motivation or need help managing competing priorities. So how do I get the people to do what I want to achieve my project goals, possibly to the detriment of their day job or another project? It is all about having the right relationship with them.
Now, that can be easy if you have known someone a long time and have worked together in the past, but these days mobility is much higher than it was, so this is less likely. Even worse, for me, I work as an interim project manager changing organisations for every project. I worked out I have worked for 19 different organisations in the last 20 years. Therefore, I need to be able to build relationships quickly with complete strangers.

This is where cars, football, and politics have come in useful for me in recent times. They are just a few of my interests. Starting a new productive relationship is all about finding some common ground separate from the task at hand. This helps build rapport, is something else to talk about so that it doesn’t feel to them like you are just “on their back” about work. People are much more likely to do things for people they like. If you take an interest in their interests, they will start to like you. You do not need to be an expert, but it is best not to be a fake, they may see through that, therefore do find something that you have some interest in.

It is not necessary to agree, most people I talk to about football support other teams. Often in politics views can be polarised, but even then I have manage to find some common ground with those that support a different party form my own, as often politics is built on pragmatism. It is often said never speak of politics or religion, but if you take a flexible approach where you want to understand why they think what they do, it can work. Just do not try to impose your view or try to convert them.
On a recent Teams meeting with a new team I noticed one member had a picture of a Ford Mustang on his T-shirt, so I commented on it, we started chatting about cars, I told him what I drove, and a relationship was borne before I had met him in person.

My advice therefore for any new young project manager is of course learn the science of project controls, but take an interest in life. Watch the news, read about the latest tech, etc. be able to talk about a wide range of subjects, be prepared to learn, and start building those relationships.

Anyone have a view?

• Spot on Dave, probably as any salesman will tell you (I am not a salesman, in fact I have often been described as the opposite i.e. anti-sales as I am too blunt). You could also sum up your approach quite succintly as "stay curious". It's amazing what the power of flattery can do, and showing genuine interest in someone is just that.
  • Wow Dave, there is a lot of wisdom in your post (in my humble opinion). I have really followed the same principles in my Project and Programme Management activities that I use in performing my PRA work. Treat everyone as an individual, and provide the targeted servant leadership that helps them perform at their best. Clever but lazy, or purely enthusiastic, and every shade in between, people are individuals and forming that relationship with them means the team is more likely to be productive and successful.
  •  Starting a new productive relationship is all about finding some common ground separate from the task at hand. This helps build rapport, is something else to talk about so that it doesn’t feel to them like you are just “on their back” about work. People are much more likely to do things for people they like. If you take an interest in their interests, they will start to like you. 

I agree with you entirely.  I am now retired but managed various departments with good results which I always put down to this.  However, my management often thought I was not acting as a "proper" manager and should be more dictatorial.  It is not easy and can really take it out of you maintaining a friendly working relationship, but for me it was the best way by far.

• Catch Dave Perton‍ in action giving some of our Project Controls webinars - you can still watch on demand and catch his final one later this year
  • Interestingly, I had this technique applied to me this morning, when a lady commented on my southern accent and told me that although she is from the midlands her husband is from the south and they lived in Sussex for 15 years - a conversation that built rapport. Needless to say I encouraged this chat and am very happy it result in an excellent working relationship between us.

It just proves any topic can be used with a little creativity.