This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Innovation in motor cars and social acceptance

This post was inspired by three other discussions:
  • Have we reached the peak of innovation in television?

• What could be done to combat speeding on our roads?

• Autonomous vehicles

On the first of these my contribution questioned whether society was keeping up with developments in television and how many developments would achieve marketing success. The second suggested more control of our driving habits and the third total control involving no human intervention.

I want to examine three "driver aid" devices fitted to cars and assess how helpful they can be. As I did in my contribution to the first discussion above,  I begin with a simple one which has been around for a long time.

Self cancelling trafficator.

You set the indicator flashing, make the turn, and it cancels when you straighten the steering on completion of the turn. Simple and quaint in concept, and I imagine it worked quite well in the 1930s, when, I presume, it was introduced. Even on roundabouts, which in those days were of fairly modest size and few in number, people knew what you were doing when you signalled thus.

Nowadays we still see people signalling this way on larger roundabouts. To make a right turn they set the right indicator flashing, and it continues to flash as they go round the roundabout, and ceases flashing just as they take the exit from the roundabout. This is not exactly the Highway Code recommendation, but can you fault people for using a device in the way it is designed to be used? Then there are those that try to indicate correctly but are frustrated by unwanted cancellations. This can happen on a large roundabout, resembling an octagon rather than a circle, over a major dual-carriageway intersection, or approaching a complicated intersection where the road bends left and right .   And you can't guarantee it will cancel when you want it to; it is the driver's responsibility to check.

Two of my earlier cars did not have self-cancelling indicators and I felt in no way deprived, more in control. There is the correct moment to cancel a trafficator just as there is the correct moment to set it. One maker in particular - Citroën - was late in fitting self-cancelling trafficators but a Citroën owner I knew shared my view that he was quite happy without them; manual cancellation is part of the discipline of good driving and you always need to check anyway.

The usual argument in favour of self-cancelling indicators is that they are a safety precaution in case the driver forgets to cancel. But there are many situations where it won't cancel. On a motorway every change of lane should be signalled but you can't expect the indicator to self-cancel with such a slight deviation of steering. And motor bike trafficators still don't self-cancel, as far as I know. I don't find "forgotten" trafficators more of a problem on motorways or from motor cyclists than anywhere else.

This is a device designed for a bygone age, and it has not been brought up to date. I could suggest a five-position control, whereby one "click" away from central position sets self-cancelling and two "clicks" away sets non-cancelling (possibly with a louder warning beep to remind the driver).

Cruise control.

I first met cruise control several years ago driving hired cars in the USA. Now it is widely available over here, even with manual gearboxes. It can certainly be pleasant, on a not-very-busy motorway, to let this maintain a constant speed leaving the driver to concentrate on the road and what lies ahead. The control can usually be "suspended", e.g. if traffic conditions force a speed reduction, and restored to the former set speed subsequently.

Associated with  cruise control is "speed limiter" whereby the driver can set a maximum speed but maintain full control of speed below this maximum using accelerator and brake if necessary. There is an obvious link here to the discussion, "What could be done to combat speeding on our roads?" This works well on busier main roads, and lets the driver concentrate on traffic conditions without worrying about going above a maximum speed. It can help a driver to avoid exceeding the speed limit, but it relies on the driver setting. It is possible to set it above the official speed limit.

Yet this is not popular with everyone. My wife won't use cruise control and get nervous when I use it. Overall, it works well on major roads that are not too busy, but is not much use driving through London or the bendy, hilly roads of the Yorkshire dales.

In common with the self-cancelling trafficator, it does not sense its surroundings. The next device does, to a limited degree.

Ultrasonic sensors.

These detect whether the car is getting too close to an object, by causing alarm bleeping noises. Very helpful if you are reversing at night into a parking bay behind which there is a bollard, which the council has helpfully painted black. I am not so sure for parallel parking between two cars, where it is necessary to pass so closely that the beeps become continuous. On reversing into my garage, or driving out, it is impossible to avoid the alarm sounding because of the closeness of the door posts. There are many occasions where I just need to ignore the alarm. "Crying wolf" comes to mind. Others have told me that they also can find the alarm off-putting under some circumstances. This is a relatively new idea in need of further development.

I think it is going to be a while yet before self-driving cars become commonplace, but by all means let us continue to develop them. There is plenty of scope for the spin-off to improve the driving aids on manual cars.

• I think that the self-cancelling trafficator was later than you suggest, as I seem to remember it was being touted as a new feature in the 1970s when I was learning to drive though it could have been becoming more widespread then due to a patent expiring. I agree with your assessment of how helpful but would go further and say that modern cars seem to have made the system more sensitive so it will cancel more readily, but at the same time made it more difficult to override the indication. I have had frustrating times on the motorway when I have, for instance come on to the motorway and indicated to move from the inside lane to the middle lane to overtake a slow lorry only to realise the car behind has come on quickly and is already moving to overtake me. Trying to cancel the indication I find I am now indicating left, then right, then left again, etc., until I give up and twitch the wheel to cancel it. The motorcycle solution of having an accompanying buzzer is annoying but less so than being unable to cancel.
  • On my journey home there is a small mini roundabout at which I need to turn right. So I indicate right on approaching the roundabout but unfortunately as there is a slight bend to the left on the approach, it cancels the indicator so I have to activate it again...?
  • On the indicators, all the cars I have driven for several years have had a "lane change" function.  If you push the indicator stalk but not to the point where it clicks, then the indicators flash.  The moment you release the stalk, they stop.  That's far more useful when changing lanes on a motorway.

I even find myself using that on normal roads, to give a few flashes of the indicators before I do something.  It saves manually cancelling them later on when they fail to self-cancel.
  • And the beeping thing that operates when reversing can be rather unreliable.  With the grass verges on roads going for months without being cut this year, I find the reversing indicators go haywaire when I try to parallel park.

I got the same result reversing on to my driveway until I decided that my widflower meadow finally needed a good cut.
  • Alasdair Anderson:

I think that the self-cancelling trafficator was later than you suggest, as I seem to remember it was being touted as a new feature in the 1970s when I was learning to drive though it could have been becoming more widespread then due to a patent expiring.

. . .

Well I wasn't around in the 1930s, but my guess is that in those days it started to be fitted to upmarket cars. Inevitably it progressed to virtually all cars. In the 60s, when I was learning to drive, some cars had indicators that self-cancelled; some did not. I think most people took things like this for granted and not as a feature to either seek or avoid.

• Simon Barker:

On the indicators, all the cars I have driven for several years have had a "lane change" function.  If you push the indicator stalk but not to the point where it clicks, then the indicators flash.  The moment you release the stalk, they stop. 

. . .

Yes, I have met indicators that work like that. Also you find some where a momentary partial press and release cause three flashes automatically. This is sometimes useful, but often you need to flash for longer than that.

• Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    The spin-offs are already spinning. At least two mid market makes that I own / am aware of have cruise control where a safe distance can be selected (3 options of distance on my car) and then the car automatically brakes if one is approaching a vehicle too rapidly - also presumably if you nod off and are heading for a bridge support etc. It also has lane following detection, using the white lines to sense if you are crossing one without indicating, and giving a warning display (not much use if you are inattentive) and a warning vibration of the steering wheel (rather too gentle to wake you up I think).  The safe distance setting is good as it is very  easy to be distracted enough to be slow to respond to a rapidly braking vehicle in front or unexpected obstruction. The one snag I have found is that if you are approaching a car to overtake it then you have to indicate quite early to turn off the safe distance protection which otherwise starts gently slowing you before you realise you need to indicate to accelerate. The system also generates a loud beeping if you appear to it to be in imminent danger of crashing into close object, typically a parked car on a bend, which causes regular false alarms, although I treat that as a reminder to stay alert. I updated my car specifically to have this safety protection and am happy to have it. However, I do think that a lot of drivers could be quite unhappy with the automated actions and not select them. This of course is very different from a fully automated vehicle, totally dependent on the system and software design. As a retired safety engineer who's work included a prototype automatically driven bus I think I gained a good appreciation of how difficult it is to define and safety implement adequate requirements for such a safety critical system.
  • Indeed, David, spin-offs have been spinning for years. For example, turbo injection, developed with the race track in mind, now available on family cars more with fuel economy in mind.

It is interesting that safe distance detection, far from mollycoddling the driver, actually encourages alertness and thinking ahead. It is no bad idea to signal a lane change well in advance. It gives other drivers more chance to see your intentions - particularly the driver slightly behind you in lane 3 who decides to move to lane 2 just as you in lane 1 decide to move to lane 2.
  • Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    You like the manual control of indicators, but not of speed? A pedal controlling flow of fuel to the engine is a poor substitute for speed control. I live in central London and use my 'Cruise' Control constantly to ensure I am driving at the correct speed. It does not affect my ability to slow down or stop in any way. My current car incorporates downhill control too. However, only a few manufacturers still have separate levers for this, and I'm yet to use a steering wheel mounted control that is as effective.

Back in the seventies, I remember an amusing letter written to Car Magazine speculating on the 'un-sung' turning gadgets the author presumed were fitted to many cars: SPOIL - Stop operated Indicator Lights (only come on when the vehicle stops to turn) and TOIL - turn operated Indicator Lights (operate only when the vehicle starts to turn).
  • Awlandsundry:

. . . I live in central London and use my 'Cruise' Control constantly to ensure I am driving at the correct speed. It does not affect my ability to slow down or stop in any way. . .

This seems to be implemented differently across different cars. What you  describe sounds like the speed limiter on my car. It does just that - sets a maximum speed - but I can drive more slowly when traffic conditions dictate, or even stop, but the maximum speed remains set. The facility that my car calls cruise control is designed to maintain a constant speed without the need to depress the accelerator. It is intended for conditions where one does not expect to slow down or stop. If I apply the brake when cruise control is set, it is immediately de-activated, but can be restored to its previous set value by the flick of a switch on the steering wheel.