This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Urban Air Mobility - Hype or Hope?

When the whole world seems to be falling apart due to the actions taken by global political leaders faced with COVID-19 threats, what hopes are there for the near-term future to be more safe and sustainable? The new 'normal’ of the aerospace industry is indeed terrifying with thousands on furlough and laid-off. If there are any changes ahead, what are they and which directions are they coming from?

Arguably, those looking at the future of flight, in particular, Urban Air Mobility (or 'the flying taxis'), are feeling positive that the current difficulties will turn out to be opportunities for electric-powered aircraft set to carry people around one day. Are you?

073cadf770f89b2c4d742203d7f61e74-huge-electricfutureribajaguar-800x420.jpg
A vision of sustainable London served by an electrical vertical take-off and landing aircraft

We would welcome your comments regarding the topic of Urban Air Mobility and electrical vertical take-off and landing aircraft here as well as in our Q&A session at the end of the UAM - Hype or Hope webinar next week; please see the link below: https://bit.ly/2BjlpRh

• I hope that UAMs develop to a position whereby the cost of flying in them as a passenger is reasonable and can be utilised and enjoyed by a wide group of people. I'm certainly looking forward to seeing them in operation in our cities.
  • Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    Mariya Tarabanovska:

When the whole world seems to be falling apart due to the actions taken by global political leaders faced with COVID-19 threats, what hopes are there for the near-term future to be more safe and sustainable?

I think the answer to that depends on who is paying the bill - if governments step in to save national airlines and prop up the industry, then they can demand greener and safer technologies in return. If they don't then it's a return to business as usual.

Personally, my view is that unless the concept vehicles for UAM have a direct military use, then funding will be low for that particular aspect

Probably both the best of times and the worst of times to be in the aviation sector

Regards

OMS

• It rather depends if in the long run we think the era of the large city that folk need to travel into is passing. One thing that this recent exercise has shown, is that of the  millions that commute into and out of greater London every working day 'normally', most do not need to. That then calls the whole structure of dormitory towns, commuter belts an so on into question.  with everyone spread out ground transport for people and things that really do need to move may be more practical. If so, only reasonably long haul flight will make sense.
  • COVID.  I think the ever-changing parameters of COVID 19 has caught all off guard, maybe with the exception of New Zealand.  Flying has always had risks associated with the transmission of viruses between people; sitting in a tube at close proximity with other people from 2 to 12+ hours is not the healthiest of environments.  However, the direction for safe and sustainable carriage of passengers and flight has been provided by the International Civil Aviation Organisation (ICAO) and I think this was correct for them to provide guidance to the members states.

Furlough.  As one of those who has been affected by the partial collapse of the aviation industry.  I have high hopes it will pick-up again in the long term and that is not wishful thinking.  The industry has always had ups and downs and the current situation is most probably the worst coupled with the lack of confidence with Boeing 737 Max aircraft issues.  Over the years reliability, maintainability and safety of our aircraft has greatly improved and this caused a downward trend in employment.  However, the growth of the airline industry helped absorb some of the workforce.  But this growth did have a downside: pollution and this is where you come in.

Electric Air Vehicles.  Electric flight has really taken off, excuse the pun, and we have seen evidence of passenger flights occurring; albeit on short flights, but it is happening.  The use of Vertical Take Off platforms is also not new, many companies are using them to deliver goods, so having a flying taxi is the next step forward and it should be pursued.  Helicopters have grown in popularity.  Why; because you do not require a runway; some second hand helicopters cost less than a middle of the range saloon car and the time it saves in travel is phenomenal.  But the downside is that they are expensive to run depending on whether you have a combustion engine or a jet engine.  I see an urban vehicle being the first step.

Urban air mobility will be part of the future sustainable mobility, but the government needs to learn the lesson of uncontrolled drone/UAS use expansion, and put in place the legislation and lower airspace controls before Chaos and accidents happen.
  • Hopefully Mariya, will inform us about the air taxi's concept of operations during her presentation.  But I feel it should be the CAA who defines the policy and advises the government.  Most of us are aware that there is limited safe air corridors in and around London and the CAA has already provided guidance.  I am looking forward to Mayday presentation: putting theory into practice, cradle to grave of the air vehicle, concept of operations etc?
  • Mariya,

Thank you for organising this Event.  Sameer provided a excellent presentation, which answered some of the questions and observations below.  This is an interesting subject and one that is gaining momentum.  Some of the proto-types UAM look fantastic. 

John
  • John Beirne:

Mariya,

Thank you for organising this Event.  Sameer provided a excellent presentation, which answered some of the questions and observations below.  This is an interesting subject and one that is gaining momentum.  Some of the proto-types UAM look fantastic. 

John

Thank you very much John, very glad you found the webinar interesting! The conversation will continue!

I couldn't attend the event, are the slides or recording available?
  • Thanks to Mariya Tarabanovska and Sameer Savani for an excellent webinar this morning.  We had a great response from people in registering for the event and a lot of questions were submitted during the Q&A session.

We will be sending the answers to the questions that we couldn't manage to cover on the webinar, to everyone who has registered.  Please bear with us as there were a substantial amount of questions submitted during the webinar, so it may take a little while for the speaker to respond to them call.

The webinar is now available on demand and can be watched here.  You'll need to register if you've not previously done so.