This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Self employed Electrician set up query

Former Community Member
Former Community Member
Hi guys 

I have been a qualified electrician for over 10 years working for others and now im trying to transision into to starting my own electrical installation / maintenance company. I'm a little confused as to what is required before I can legally work in other peoples properties.

I thought I needed 

1. Registration with governing body

2. Liabilty insurance 

I have been looking at becoming a member with the NiCEIC but the confusing part is they want to see my work to assess.

I dont understand How to do this if I need to be a member before I can work in other peoples property? 

I imagine it's really simple but not sure the best route to take 

Thanks in advance for any advice / guidance
  • Hello, Mr Deep. I am sorry to see that you have had no response so far, so maybe I can help a little.

Yes, you will need liability insurance.

It is not essential for a contractor to be a member of a governing body. However, membership of the NICEIC would be a good career target, it would enhance your status as a contractor. Of course they will want to inspect your work. Have you enquired about whether they could inspect work you have already done for people?

Since you have been doing the work for many years, I presume you know the market, potential customers and how you could engage. Some towns have a small business support and start-up centre, which could give assistance, particularly on account keeping. Your Citizens' Advice Bureau or bank could give you some leads. Also look at on-line job sites. Job agencies can be useful too.

My discipline in later career migrated to electronics and IT.

I recommend that you re-post this in the "Wiring and Regulations" section, which is read by a large number of experienced electrical contractors, who, I expect, could give you far more advice than I can.
  • Topic moved to the 'Wiring and the Regulations' category.
  • Legally, you don't need anything to go out and work as an electrician - it's not a protected title, unlike say an architect.

Sensibly you should be able to show that you're able to work to the wiring regs and have some insurance - but that's really to protect yourself or to meet customer's requirements rather than any legal obligation. Some customers like the reassurance of some big well known organisation being there to vouch for you - but others are less bothered.

When it comes to building regulations - some work is notifiable (under part P) - which of itself doesn't make a legal difference (anyone can still carry out any electrical work) but economically it makes a lot more sense to be a member of a Competent Persons Scheme and be able to self-notify (and self-certify) for building regs (it's usually a couple quid per job via the scheme) rather than having to notify via the local council (or perhaps a 3rd party building inspector) where the cost is likely to start at over £200 per job even for the smallest job.

Note that part P of the building regs (and all the notification that goes with it) only applies to domestic installations - not to commercial or industrial ones. Some of the Schemes operate differing types of membership as a result - some (predating the building regs) concentrate on a wide range of electrical work and have just tagged on the ability to self-certify for domestics as an extra, other are solely domestic memberships and don't cover you for say commercial or industrial installations.  Likewise support for performing periodic inspections and issuing EICRs may or may not be included, You pays your money and you takes your choice.

You correctly identify a snag in that it's tricky to do some notifiable work in order to show it to a scheme before you can become a member. In theory you could get around this by notifying (in advance) through your local building control dept and paying their fee (£200+++). Most recognise that that's a bit unreasonable and as scheme members have the privilege of notifying after the event (by several tens of days) the accepted practice is to go ahead and do the work and then notify retrospectively once you've been accepted as a member. Even if you fail the assessment the first time you should still have time to notify once you have passed (just try not to fail repeatedly...)

- Andy.
  • Just to add to AJs reply, whatever route you take I would think it prudent to hold on to and maintain your ECS card. It provides an added degree of flexibility should you have need to sub in a site where workforce competency measures are in operation. Personally I would avoid the domestic stuff but in the early days of self-employment the doors that open may not offer much in the way of choice. Regardless of direction just be the best you can be. Our industry needs good guys.

The very best of luck to you.
  • When I set up on my own - the NICEIC would not even consider me for approved contractor status or for enrolment for 2 years.........Any work I had carried out when employed were not to be considered even if I could prove I'd done the job entirely on my own. Some stuff I was very proud of too and still am, 15 years later. They'll still be there -some of them - as the best ones were Thames Water pump stations. Remote ones. 

In that two years as a limited company with insurance, I had to find a range of commercial and domestic works that did not require me to be a part of a governing body, do everything correctly with certificates and presented those jobs for consideration to join as an approved contractor. I'm sure there are plenty of jobs that don't need any governing body to be involved.
  • tattyinengland:

When I set up on my own - the NICEIC would not even consider me for approved contractor status or for enrolment for 2 years.........Any work I had carried out when employed were not to be considered even if I could prove I'd done the job entirely on my own. Some stuff I was very proud of too and still am, 15 years later. They'll still be there -some of them - as the best ones were Thames Water pump stations. Remote ones. 

In that two years as a limited company with insurance, I had to find a range of commercial and domestic works that did not require me to be a part of a governing body, do everything correctly with certificates and presented those jobs for consideration to join as an approved contractor. I'm sure there are plenty of jobs that don't need any governing body to be involved. 

Pretty much my findings, I set up 20 years ago, was going to go with NIC but found I was getting enough work without, I mainly do industrial/commercial, used to ask if clients wanted NIC approval, the answer was usually who? how much will it cost?.  Only lost a couple of jobs by not being in, big PIRs, I passed them on to a mate and I got the remedials 

• Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    Hi Dennis thank you for getting back to me, the good advice and directing the post, which has now had some very useful responces. I have just worked out how to find the posts and reply so starting from the top. Have looked for funding but nothing come up as of yet however i will look into the your suggestions. I have had a nightmare trying to speak to NIC due to COVID but there is plenty for me to get on with in the meantime and hopefully they will be taking calls again soon. Thank again for your reply :)
    AJJewsbury:

Legally, you don't need anything to go out and work as an electrician - it's not a protected title, unlike say an architect.

Sensibly you should be able to show that you're able to work to the wiring regs and have some insurance - but that's really to protect yourself or to meet customer's requirements rather than any legal obligation. Some customers like the reassurance of some big well known organisation being there to vouch for you - but others are less bothered.

When it comes to building regulations - some work is notifiable (under part P) - which of itself doesn't make a legal difference (anyone can still carry out any electrical work) but economically it makes a lot more sense to be a member of a Competent Persons Scheme and be able to self-notify (and self-certify) for building regs (it's usually a couple quid per job via the scheme) rather than having to notify via the local council (or perhaps a 3rd party building inspector) where the cost is likely to start at over £200 per job even for the smallest job.

Note that part P of the building regs (and all the notification that goes with it) only applies to domestic installations - not to commercial or industrial ones. Some of the Schemes operate differing types of membership as a result - some (predating the building regs) concentrate on a wide range of electrical work and have just tagged on the ability to self-certify for domestics as an extra, other are solely domestic memberships and don't cover you for say commercial or industrial installations.  Likewise support for performing periodic inspections and issuing EICRs may or may not be included, You pays your money and you takes your choice.

You correctly identify a snag in that it's tricky to do some notifiable work in order to show it to a scheme before you can become a member. In theory you could get around this by notifying (in advance) through your local building control dept and paying their fee (£200+++). Most recognise that that's a bit unreasonable and as scheme members have the privilege of notifying after the event (by several tens of days) the accepted practice is to go ahead and do the work and then notify retrospectively once you've been accepted as a member. Even if you fail the assessment the first time you should still have time to notify once you have passed (just try not to fail repeatedly...)

- Andy.

Hi Andy - This is fantastic thank you for taking the time to respond, much appreciated. a couple of things im still a little unclear on, is whether building control will be happy with my test results or will they have to send someone else to verify? - is this all included in the application cost or is it a case of speaking to my local council to get verification as im getting the impression different areas run things differently.  

Also in your opinion - Instead of notifying the building control, is the other option just to pay a registered electrician to test and sign off with building control themselves?

lyledunn:

Just to add to AJs reply, whatever route you take I would think it prudent to hold on to and maintain your ECS card. It provides an added degree of flexibility should you have need to sub in a site where workforce competency measures are in operation. Personally I would avoid the domestic stuff but in the early days of self-employment the doors that open may not offer much in the way of choice. Regardless of direction just be the best you can be. Our industry needs good guys.

The very best of luck to you. 

Thank you Lyle this is very relevant. As you mentioned, for flexibility i thought best to get my ECS card sorted as people have asked me about it in the past and if work is slow I thought i can do some agency work to tied me over. However Im kicking myself now as when i got qualified initially it was off my own back and the college never recomended i complete my NVQ level 3 and now its come back to bite me in the ass! I have to now Pay £2000 to complete my NVQ level 3 and to get assessed as a mature candidate which can take up to 12 months! 

I do feel it will be money well spent so i will be going ahead with it. Its a shame though at this point in my career as feel im back tracking but hopefully it will be worth it down the line.

tattyinengland:

When I set up on my own - the NICEIC would not even consider me for approved contractor status or for enrolment for 2 years.........Any work I had carried out when employed were not to be considered even if I could prove I'd done the job entirely on my own. Some stuff I was very proud of too and still am, 15 years later. They'll still be there -some of them - as the best ones were Thames Water pump stations. Remote ones. 

Thanks for sharing mate. Im not sure what the differences are but could you have joined as a domestic installer instead? I have heard they only want to see a couple of jobs but i guess i will know where i stand when i get to speak to them. All their lines are closed due to COVID at the moment as far as i am aware.