This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Power supply to fire alarm slave panels

Former Community Member
Former Community Member
Hello everyone

I have a building that incorporates a main fire alarm control panel and two repeater panels.

Do the slave panels have to be supplied in the same way as the main panel i.e. from the main section board? If this is the case do I need three supplies, or will one supply looped through suffice?

Alternatively, can I connect the repeater panels to local section boards (mccb panel boards) which are in the adjacent risers.

Thanks,
  • Look at BS EN 5839 Sect 25.1, it states that if the extra panels are not essential for the full compliance of the system to this standard then it might not be necessary for the power supplies to this equipment to conform in full to the requirements of this standard.

So it really depends upon how it is envisaged that these repeater panels are expected to be used, this will be covered in you fire risk assessment.

Sect 25.2 e) also addresses this issue and provides guidance for large building with multiple distribution boards.
  • As a learner this is a difficult one , generally modern fire alarm systems are designed to function for a time period , before total failure occurs , so my guess is a common power feed to slave units wouldn't be acceptable , as with individual power feeds you can gain sectional functioning even if master board goes down . Only ones I have ever seen all all master boards , with monitering stations for individual sensor/alarm circuits as sections , but I guess for large buildings this must be a problem , where you might just have one section on fire . You could always ring one of the master board suppliers/manufacturers see what they say about installation design .
  • Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    Thanks for the replies. The conclusion that I have come to, is to feed the repeater panels from the local distribution boards. My justification is that the repeater panels have battery back up the same as the main panel, so of the power is lost there is still an essential supply, and the main panel will still operate.