Want to post a reply? You'll need to log in

Self employment of electrical engineer

6 Replies

• New Question

Self employment of electrical engineer

Posted by Eng Muhannad on Jan 8, 2020 7:09 pm

Hello all,

I cam newly to UK and I wander what electrical engineer can work by his\her self employment, it is required to learn more of technical work like having Level 2 and Level 3 and NVQ?
Please advise about the best way?

Thanks

Re: Self employment of electrical engineer

Posted by Simon Barker on Jan 8, 2020 9:04 pm

If somebody is willing to pay you to do some work for them, then you do not have to have any particular qualifications at all.  Anybody can call themselves an "electrical engineer".

Posted by Eng Muhannad on Jan 8, 2020 9:09 pm

Thank you very much Simon for your kind reply,

Posted by Eng Muhannad on Jan 9, 2020 2:34 pm

Hi Simon,

In term of electrical work, normally, dose the electrical engineer work same electrician job or different? I mean if we want to work as self employed?
Thanks

Posted by Denis McMahon on Jan 10, 2020 7:53 am

Eng Muhannad:
Hello all,

I cam newly to UK and I wander what electrical engineer can work by his\her self employment, it is required to learn more of technical work like having Level 2 and Level 3 and NVQ?
Please advise about the best way?

Thanks

Hello Muhannad. As Simon said, if you can find a job you don't necessarily need qualifications. However I would recommend studying e.g. for NVQs as you suggest. You would want to build a career, and studying whilst learning is an excellent strategy.

In term of electrical work, normally, dose the electrical engineer work same electrician job or different? I mean if we want to work as self employed?

In general, an electrician installs and maintains electrical equipment. An electrical engineer is more involved with the design or operation of electrical plant, the optimisation of its performance and its general management, which may involve supervising personnel. 

Many electricians are self-employed. A self-employed engineer would probably work as a contractor, taking on major projects for large organisations. If you wish to build your career to this level you would probably be better advised to at first find a job working for a firm on its pay roll, and look towards promotion. Large-scale contracting requires much experience.
Denis McMahon "There is always a better way."

Posted by Eng Muhannad on Jan 12, 2020 6:57 pm

Hello Denis,

Thank you very much for your message and explanation.

Based on my previous career out of UK, I have more than 15years experience in supply chain management. However, I am planning to get master degree in supply chain management to upgrade my career and engage within UK culture and to be able get the suitable job after that. But I am not sure if this master degree will help me at the same time to obtain Chartered engineer level?
On parallel I am planning to get a Gas engineering qualification in order to be able to work as part time as self employed...
I would like to know your opinions about this plan or do you have another ideas?

Appreciate the contribution and support from all.
All the best
Muhannad 

Posted by Simon Barker on Jan 12, 2020 8:44 pm

You seem to be trying to do three different things at once - do a degree in supply chain management, while also becoming a gas engineer, so that you can become a chartered electrical engineer?  That doesn't make much sense.

Do you really mean "gas engineer" or Gas Safe registered installer?  They are completely different things.

Share:

Want to post a reply? You'll need to log in