Want to post a reply? You'll need to log in
EV Charging - Sign Post Within Inclusion Zone?
JAT
2 Posts
Question
Hi,

I need some thoughts on this if possible.

I'm currently working on a project where we're installing EV charge points in a private car park, the charge points are to be supplied by a new 3-phase TT supply provided by the local DNO, I have read the COP for Electric Vehicle Charging Equipment Installation (3rd edition) and the COP for Electrical Safety Management in the Highway Electrical Sector and both documents are consistent in stating that any electrical equipment (e.g. street lighting) that fall within the inclusion zone of the EV charge points (and the vehicles connected to them) should have their supplies converted to TT earthing arrangements.

Luckily we do not have this problem in the private car park we're working in but there is an existing un-lit sign post located within the inclusion zone, therefore (by instinct) I have advised our Client that the existing sign post should be removed and re-located to outside the inclusion zone, in order to avoid the risk of electric shock due to a possible difference in potential between the electric vehicle while its charging and the sign post which is exposed metal work connected to true earth (in the unlikely event that someone will be touching the two at the same time).

This has led me to wonder if anyone has encountered this scenario with other existing non-electrical metallic fixtures such as bollards, posts and barriers etc that happen to fall within the inclusion zone of proposed EV charge points, is the approach I took correct or was it unnecessary?

(Also for clarity we are unable to install the EV charge points in another location within the car park)

My instinct tells me my approach was correct but I'm interested to hear the thoughts of others on this scenario.

Thanks in advanced.
2 Replies
davidwalker2
136 Posts
You may get more replies if you posted this on the Wiring and the Regulations forum.

David
Type of connection in the charging position: Type 2 or Type 1 
All electric vehicles can be charged at slow and fast charging but not in all cars connecting to the same position. When it comes to slow or fast charging, the electric vehicle connections are divided into two groups: Cars with type 1 connection (type 1) or model name J1772. Cars with a type 2 (type 2) connection, sometimes called Mennekes. The differences are in the form of the connection itself (think of the difference between a European jack and a US jack, for example) and in geography: For the most part, cars manufactured in the Far East and the United States have a Type 1 connection and European vehicles have a Type 2 connection.

Share:

Want to post a reply? You'll need to log in