Want to post a reply? You'll need to log in

Leak detection methods?

3 Replies

• New Question

Leak detection methods?

Posted by DEEEEEEEEEMI on Jan 6, 2020 1:42 pm

Hi all,

I'm trying to design a leak detection system for checking the leakage on our parts. Each part is a thin metal substrate with tiny holes (the hole size is in um), a layer is applied on top of the substrate to cover the holes. We basically want to figure out a way to check if every hole has been filled.
Does anyone know any leak detection methods (easy, quick and cheap)?
Thanks a lot!

Re: Leak detection methods?

Posted by Roger Bryant on Jan 6, 2020 3:31 pm

Depending on the geometry and size of the part(s) a couple of methods spring to mind:

If the holes go through and the coating is an insulator an electrolytic method may work. In it's simplest form apply a damp sponge to the coating and see if you can get a current flow between the sponge and the metal substrate (may need something to reduce the surface tension of the water).

If the coating is opaque shine a light on one side and have a sensitive photo detector the other side (this method is used for detecting fine holes in this Titanium foils).

The not so quick and cheap is to use Helium leak detection as is used for leak checking high vacuum systems.
https://heliumleakdetection.net/what-is-helium-leak-detection/

If you can give more details other systems may be possible.

best regards
Roger

Posted by DEEEEEEEEEMI on Jan 6, 2020 3:50 pm

Thank you Roger! :)
Sorry that I didn't put on enough details.
The part is slightly smaller than an A6 sheet (a quarter of an A4 sheet). It's basically an A4 sheet in metal.

I thought about the light method as well but the layer applied is transparent so the light can go though the layer anyway (it's my fault that I forgot to mention this, sorry:(
We used to use helium leak detector for years but we are thinking about changing to a cheaper and more efficient way.
The electrolytic method sounds really brilliant to me! It'll be more suitable if the part doesn't have to touch any liquid.
Thanks again!:)

Posted by Benyamin Davodian on Jan 6, 2020 6:48 pm

Good evening Jiaming, 
gas liquidity detection is safe to use and environmentally friendly. The test allows the detection of leakage by introducing gas into the system and applying air pressure, the gas exits the pipe in the perforated / torn areas and thus the maximum leakage location will be found. It is a recognized and safe method that results in good and immediate results. I got a high water price and this method found the liquid in my private garden.
Successfully....
Regards, DAVODIAN BENYAMIN

Share:

Want to post a reply? You'll need to log in