This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Difference between Duration (Hours) and CPD hours

Hello All

I am filling out the form for my intent to register for a CEng

Under the training section you are asked to enter the Duration (hours) and CPD hours for each training course that you undertake

Does anyone know what the difference is between Duration (hours) and CPD hours

Many thanks
  • Well in some jobs it may have taken you a year to fit in only a few of days of professional development, in between lots of other work that to be rigorous, does  not really count as a new development for you, but maybe is only a repetition of routine things previously done.

A sort of ' how much of what I did this year is actually new or an extension of the knowledge for me' test.
  • I thank you for your response

I see, so the Duration is the time in which you do everyday tasks, but the CPD hours is the time in which you learnt new things that contribute towards you career development
  • Imagine a training course, running over 2 days.  Each day, you do 6 hours of training (not including lunch breaks).  The duration is two days.  The CPD is 12 hours.
  • What is the value of recording the "duration"?

• Alex Barrett:

What is the value of recording the "duration"?

None whatsoever.  But there's a box on the form, so you have to fill it in.  I generally put the same figure in both.

• Career Professional Development hours can often occur during the lunch hour when you discuss a topic and find out how other engineers tackle problems. Happy New Year ALL