This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Physics and Robotics

Hello everyone,

attached file. Does anyone disagree with me.

Would love for ideas or comments if any. Thanks
  • apart from the fact the first page shows as blank in powerpoint, I see nothing to disagree with in the diagram on the 2nd page , and more generally all is OK, apart from your use of non-standard language.

A wheel rotates about or around its axis, not on it, (which would imply a vertical axis and angular momentum vector so spinning like a top *) and yes, and if the wheel is rigid, so it is not winding up into a spiral, then stuff at the outside has the same angular velocity - takes the same time to do 360 degrees as stuff near the centre, and therefore has a linear velocity that increases in proportion to the perpendicular radius from the axis of rotation.

I assume you meant by 'non dot' that it has finite size.

* generally when adding angular momenta for spinning things mounted on other spinning things, we represent the angular momentum as a vector pointing along the axis of rotation, whose length denotes the angular velocity times moment of inertia. If you do this all the normal vector addition rules work very nicely to correctly tell you the forces on the body and its supports and how it will move.