This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Fondue Pots (Caquelon) and Induction Hobs

Winter is coming and it's fondue time ? As mentioned elsewhere on here we had the kitchen rebuilt earlier this year and now have an induction hob. My existing ceramic pots obviously won't work. There are ones available that will work on induction hobs but they are not cheap. ? If I put a suitable steel disc between the pot and the hob would it work or would I damage the hob? I guess the pots suitable for induction hobs have iron fillings or similar in the clay mix.

Best regards

Roger
  • Roger,

I can't answer your question, but have you considered putting the steel disc inside the fondue pot? It may not be a feasible option because of the increased gap, but may be worth considering.

Alasdair
  • To be honest Roger, I'd bite the bullet and buy a compatible pan rather than do a Heath Robinson affair... ? ?
  • Thank you all for your thoughts. I have looked at converter discs which are just a disc of low grade magnetic stainless steel. The problem seems to be too much of the heat energy flows down into the hob compared to the amount flowing into the  pot or pan. This may well be worse with a ceramic pot than with a copper or aluminum one. On the other hand the required temperature is much lower for a fondue than for frying, boiling, etc. so it may work.

The safe options seem to be to spend CHF 70 or more on a new caquelon or keep on preparing the fondue in a normal pan and then transferring in to a caquelon that has been preheated by the burner.

Best regards

Roger
  • You cannot beat a gas hob, electric oven yes but hob no.
  • Roger, I don't think you said whether we are talking about a fondue au fromage or a fondue bourguignonne but I suspect the former. However, for both, aren't you supposed to heat the bowl on the table? That's what we do. It's part of the fun. As for the idea of putting a steel plate in the bottom, I think that will get pretty messy at the end of the meal.
  • It's Käse Fondue (we are the other side of the Röstigraben). I normally prepare the fondue on the kitchen hob and then move it to the spirit burner on the table for eating. It heats up and melts somewhat quicker with a kw or so of electric heating than with a small flame just designed to keep it hot.