This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Providing local network event options for selection by attendees when registering

I am interested in hearing from anyone who has thoughts or experience about providing local network event options for selection by attendees when they register.  The specific 'use case' in mind is making menu choices when registering to attend a local network dinner.
  • Hello Ian MacGillivray,

I want to talk about the issue of autonomous, modern vehicles because technology is advanced and it is important for me to bring interest to the weaker population in-depth and strong knowledge of understanding advanced vehicle systems.
  • Ian,

No experience, but the problem for local events is normally getting volunteers to present/organise events. I am not sure what you mean by 'options' - is it an option between two concurrent events or is it a voting mechanism such that what is put on is determined by the choices attendees have selected?

I can see problems with both scenarios. If you have options of which concurrent event to attend, some may find that what they are doing is 'trumped' by someone else and therefore discourage them in the future. This of course is on the assumption you can get enough happening to give people the choice. Similarly if you have the event tailored at a late date according to what people seem to want it will give uncertainty in what is happening which will discourage those organising the event.

On the other hand, I can see that it could help in terms of the attendees getting something more in line with what they want, so it is not all negative. If you have the right events for people to select between I suspect it could be successful, though I think the biggest problem is going to be getting the right events (and getting them to coincide to allow the choice).

Alasdair
  • Hi Alasdair, thank you for responding.

The 'use case' in mind is registering to attend a local network dinner and making menu choices.

Interesting to read your comment on the difficulty getting volunteers to present/organise events.  I see you are associated with the Surrey LN.  (Despite living in Spain since the start of the year) I currently chair the nearby Solent network and I recognise what you write.  My own instinct is that we pay too little attention to the 'networking' side of what a LNs exist to do, thereby making it hard to generate / nurture / sustain volunteering interest.  I'd be interested in any thoughts you have on the subject.

Regards, Ian
  • Hello Benyamin and thank you for your reply.

I did not do a good enough job at setting the context for my question: the use case in mind is an engineeringly benign one of people registering for a dinner and making menu choices.

Out of interest, where are you based?

Kind regards,

Ian
  • I am a mechanical engineer in a car specialization. and I am from Israel
  • Thanks, and best wishes.

Ian
  • I think the main option is the "Booking Form"/"Special Instructions" box in the Plus4 registration management tool. Not very flexible but the nearest thing we have.