This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

PLC Training

I'm currently an aircraft technician in the Armed Forces looking to leave in the next couple of years. I don't intend to continue working on aircraft and in my research looking at the job market a large majority of maintenance/engineering jobs appear to require knowledge and training with PLCs.

I currently have 15 years of experience on aircraft (mechanical bias but trained and limited experience with avionics/electrical systems) and also a degree in Computing & IT. Could anyone with industry knowledge point me in the right direction for what PLC training I might need to get my foot in the door of civilian industry?
  • Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    Hi Mauve,

I would think with your experience and training you'll be snapped up quickly.  A good idea to find out about PLCs though - automation is everywhere although you will find that the line between PLCs and PC-based automation and control is becoming increasingly blurred.  In my industry (machine and systems building, mainly for the UK/EU market), the training that seems to count is based on individual suppliers.  Siemens and Rockwell (Allen Bradley) are the two main players although Mitsubishi, Schneider (Modicon), Omron, etc. also have smaller market shares.  The new PC-based suppliers such as Beckhoff are appealing to certain sectors with large/high-speed automation needs, but I would suggest that you focus on Siemens or Allen Bradley initially.  If you have to pick one, then Siemens.  Training is not cheap though, so you could aim to do the basic courses and then look to your future employer to send you for more.  You can learn a huge amount by just buying some kit and playing with it yourself.  For someone with your skills, you should find it pretty obvious - it is designed to be, after all.  this will probably help you get more out of the training as well.

Good luck with your efforts!
  • Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    Hi Mauve,

You may refer to the below link to study in specific about the PLC (Siemens) for basic knowledge (as long as you can learn all the available notes here in the link it will be good enough knowledge to secure a job related to PLC: https://new.siemens.com/global/en/company/sustainability/education/sce.html

Hope the above will help you with your new job finding