This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Pressure testing for leaks in electric heater

Hi All

I've got an industrial electric water heater in which I have just replaced the 66 elements and filled it up with water.  The heater manufacturer says I should pressure test it to 7.5 bar before commissioning, but the tank is vented to atmosphere.  So I can't do this.  The elements are sealed with compression fittings and olives set to manufacturer's torque spec of 140 NM.  it seems to me that if I don't do the pressure test there is a risk of a leak developing later, but I don't know what the probability is.

Any ideas?

Stephen
  • Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    It's fairly normal to swap out or lock down safety relief vents on a vessel under test - because it's going to operate as a pressure vessel under the PED

For an vented cylinder that will never meet the criteria of a pressure vessel, then presumably the manufacturer is advocating a pressure test as a means of leak testing  - so you could swap out the vent for a pressure relief valve set above 7.5 bar - but you would absolutely want to see evidence that the vessel was designed to withstand those pressure (which would be unusual if it was always intended to operate as an atmospheric vessel) - if the elements have been installed properly using proper materials and good workmanship, any leak would be visible on first fill - as it's only atmospheric pressure acting on the vessel anyway

Ask the manufacturer again for the written methodology to undertake a 7.5 bar test on their equipment

Regards

OMS
  • It sounds to me as if the heater manufacturer is expecting the heaters to be in a pressurised tank (perhaps 3 bar tank so pressure tested at 2 1/2 times working pressure?) but as it is in a vented tank the pressure test may not be applicable and a leak test sufficient. In addition to asking the manufacturer for the methodology, and possibly ahead of that question, I would suggest explaining the situation to the manufacturer and checking whether they still recommend a leak test.

Alasdair