This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

AC or DC for long distance transmission - question revisited

Hi All

I thought this had been dealt with by the competition between Edison and Tesla, but it seems with new technology the conclusion is not so simple.  Does any know the pros and cons with today's technology?

Regards

Stephen

• Well the accepted advantage of AC is that with chunks of iron and copper you can transform it up and down in voltage at both ends.

Converting AC to DC, rectification is OK and has been since the invention of the diode, but inversion, i.e. chopping up  a DC to make an AC, has always been harder, although modern semiconductors are regularly raising the bar of what we might consider the highest voltage and maximum current, and so is getting easier.

Long gone are the rotating motor generator sets and attendant synchronisation problems of the last century. With inverters the link between frequency and load is broken, which makes interfacing with conventional rotating generation more exciting, as unless it is deliberately programmed in, phase shift cannot be used as a method of indicating or detecting overloads.

Against AC  the peak voltage is higher than the RMS by a factor of 1.4, and the losses associated with AC can be a problem - the polarisation of sea water for example makes high voltage lines undersea less practical. Displacement current in dielectrics make certain types of insulation failure more likely with AC.  So DC insulation and losses are better, but switching DC on or off, with no zero crossing to break the arc is not so simple at EHV, making circuit breakers more complex than the AC counterpart..

I'm sure there are other points and folk will add them.
  • Due to the capacitative impedance, for long distance transmissions such as subsea cables, HV dc has less losses so a cable from Southern Scotland across the Irish Sea to North Wales would be dc (England to France across the channel is short enough to be ac but would require synchronisation of the National Grid with the rest of Europe).
  • Just briefly on the historical angle, I always like to mention “The Edison of Europe”, who grew up in the same street as I did.  It was his friend Lord Kelvin who described him thus at this ceremony http://www.historywebsite.co.uk/articles/electricity/history2.htm  and later proposed him as member of ICE.

Thomas Parker was himself  member number 324 of The  Society of Telegraph-Engineers and Electricians in 1885. A number of factors including dying during the First World War, meant that his legacy was long neglected, but you will nowadays find his portrait on the stairwells of Savoy Place.  Parker’s breakthrough in electrical technology having served an Apprenticeship as an Iron Moulder (from the age of 10) was in accumulators.  This paper discusses the issue of AC v DC in a UK context  https://outsideecho.com/DGT-BIO_files/PDFs/DGT25.pdf  It should be noted that Frank Sprague “The Father of Electric Traction” and a close associate of Edison, was slightly ahead of Parker in some respects and behind in others. The author of the paper doesn’t mention Parker’s work on Blackpool Trams (running in 1885), also The Liverpool Overhead Railway which Parker electrified (gaining a Stephenson Medal) achieved several “firsts”. 

Historians tend to seek iconic figures to represent “team efforts”, so at that time and also today, a series of incremental advanced and improvements, involving many people in many places doesn’t make such an attractive headline.  Did Parker create the worlds first practical (by being rechargeable) Electric car? Possibly as an experiment, but if so, it wasn’t commercially attractive product in the UK, because of the Locomotive Acts until some years later and a prototype sent to France was lost at sea. He was most certainly in the vanguard at that time.  http://www.historywebsite.co.uk/articles/ThomasParker/InventiveGenius.htm        http://www.elwellparker.com/our-legacy

I was working for part of what is now National Grid (CEGB Transmission) when the Anglo French Interconnector was being established in the early 1980s, but just interested rather than directly involved, there is descriptive material on-line and elsewhere.  Advances in power electronics with the momentum towards local generation, storage, electric cars make this interesting (but far from new) territory.