This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

EN60204-1 Cable Calc software

Hi,

A question for any machine builders on here working from the Electrical Safety of Machines standard EN60204-1 (or anyone in the know for that matter) ... is there an equivalent software application similar to Amtech (Trimble) that is appropriate to use for cable calculations and reports?

• Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    There isn't, yet, I have been discussing with one of the software vendors about them adding this into their package, but they are concentrating on the BS 7671 market for this year, and may look at this next year.
  • Thanks Paul. So, not being familiar with any of Amtech’s software, would you know if parts of their cable calculations (or other vendors if any) are useful for the purposes of designing circuits to EN60204, or do you simply work manually straight from the standard?

• Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    Sorry, I know nothing about the Amtech software what so ever, I've never used it.

As I said, I am talking to another vendor about how/if their software can meet the requirements.

At the moment, I would work from first principles from the standard, as until I am sure that the software will give me the right answers, I'll not use it.

I do know that others do use Amtech, whether it gives the correct results I do not know, and cannot say.

• Paul Skyrme:    until I am sure that the software will give me the right answers, I'll not use it.

Paul, I fully endorse that attitude. I had the situation, many years ago now, where a computer calculation of short circuits was submitted for my approval using a software package from a major international electrical engineering company. The output didn't quite look right to me (despite having seen a number of satisfactory submissions using this package previously) so I did the calculations as per the standard. Still wrong! I then looked at the difference in the computer's answer and my answer from the same input, and on a hunch changed a '+' to a '-' in one of the equations - which then gave me the same answer as the computer. They had coded the equation incorrectly and not properly verified the output, yet people were using this to set up their protection scheme. I have to confess I felt a bit smug telling them of their problem.....