This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Do solar panels need to be rectangular?

There was recently some discussion in our local community about the installation of solar panels, both on houses in new developments and on existing developments. A view was expressed that these might be unpopular with some people because they spoiled the appearance of roof tops.

Supportive as I am of the principle of employing solar panels, I do agree that the point about appearance is a valid one. A rectangular array of panels on a rectangular-shaped roof surface looks OK, but where panels try to maximize the available space on a pitched roof surface with sloping edges, the result is often ugly jagged lines as more panels occupy lower rows than upper rows.

It seems to me that the appearance could be improved considerably if solar panels were available with bevelled corners as an alternative to purely rectangular. This diagram shows how a mixture of panels could be arranged to give a much more pleasing shape, blending much better with the roof lines.

b55eb148c57ec49111761b1b96588255-huge-roofline.gif

An added advantage would be that such a design could make a little extra use of available roof space. I have yet to see solar panels in any shape other than rectangular, whether on roofs or in advertisements. Is it beyond the ingenuity of solar panel manufacturers to come up with a bevelled design like this? Are there any technical difficulties? 

I should be interested to know if anyone - particularly someone in the solar panel trade - could answer my questions.