This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Graphic symbols for Diagrams of electrical power and control

It would appear that BS 3939 and IEC 617 etc covering graphic sysmbols of electrical Power and control have been withdrawn and not replaced or superseded. Can anybody advise me what standard  (if any) is now applaicabe for IEC Electrical Power amd control Grapahic symbols?

Alan Foxall
  • The BSI shop has the following note against this standard:

In 2002 IEC launched an 'on-line' database format for the symbol library, available on subscription from the IEC web-site. Following this decision, in 2004 CENELEC decided to cease publication of EN 60617 in 'paper' form, to withdraw the then-existing standards and formally to adopt the IEC database without any changes for use in Europe. Consequently the British Standard versions must also now be withdrawn.

The IEC database is available at http://std.iec.ch/iec60617  (for a fee, of course).

Alasdair
  • And if you just want to look one up to see what it is, there are plenty of
    images of the common ones. that are out there for free . (Though I am still sticking to wiggley resistors and logic gate symbols that are not squares personally )
  • Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    IEC 60617 database for over £450 PER YEAR!!!

Ridiculous.
  • If you are a major designer (such as ABB, Siemens, etc.) that is very cheap. If you are a one man band..........as you say, Paul, ridiculous.

Alasdair

• mapj1:

And if you just want to look one up to see what it is, there are plenty of
    images of the common ones. that are out there for free . (Though I am still sticking to wiggley resistors and logic gate symbols that are not squares personally )

Thanks, Mike for the useful link to the freeby images. The rectangular symbol for the resistor is easier to draw than the wiggly one, though one could argue that nowadays most electrical diagrams are software-produced, so drawing of a complicated shape is not an issue. ANSI logic gate symbols are OK only for basic gates (AND, OR, NAND, etc.). They are of little use for compound logic symbols, for which purpose rectangular shapes work well.