This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Trying to start my Career, Would appreciate some advice and guidance if possible?

Hello, first time posting on here. I have been a member for a fair few years but now I want to build my professional career. I really want to go down the design side of things, I graduated last year with a MEng in Electronic Engineering with a first and even won an award. I was almost instantly given a role and being a fresh faced graduate I didn't even blink when accepting it. Fast forward 6 months and the position was a sales position and not technical in the slightest. I handed in my notice and started applying for other positions whilst trying to attain my Prince2 qualification. 

I am from the Birmingham area of the UK, is it feasible for me to stay round here or will I have to relocate? and if it is possible would anyone here know of any particular good companies that are known for graduate development and long term commitment? I am looking for something along the lines of automotive hopefully, I know continental are near by and have an application with them but in the back of my mind I imagine it will fail due to me not being a fresh graduate, I have tried jaguar land rover but they have no opputinities at the moment. Would anyone be able to recommend anything in particular?
  • From your post you are clearly working hard for your career and should do well. Having worked in communications, I am not qualified to offer specific recommendations on employers in the car industry. Currently the manufacturing world in the West is struggling and we are due for a downturn so finding an ideal job in that area now will be more difficult than it was. I see that GKN are currently looking for a Metrology Engineer (www.indeed.co.uk/Car-Manufacturing-jobs-in-Birmingham) but they have just been through a bitter takeover battle, however that might be an opportunity.

For the car industry, you might consider a foreign employer such a a German firm, a French firm or a Japanese firm. The German firms are particularly well run and have a good work ethic in my view. (see for example Tom Brown "Tragedy and Challenge" - YouTube www.youtube.com/watch. Having worked for a Japanese firm, I can say they are also well run and quite different to a UK firm. Among top engineering firms in the UK there are, in my view, Rotork and Spirax-Sarco but they are not in the car industry.

I think you are doing well to ask for advice. It might be worth talking to senior peolple at lectures and conferences to see what they say. You probably would not want to do this but other alternatives would be to consider doing a PhD and research if you have a particular interest or expertise. Alternatively think right 'outside the box' and consider Electric vehicles (Dyson), Military Vehicles, Space vehicles (Airbus) etc. IET Connect also run a free job service which allows you to evaluate your options (www.ietconnect.org/.../).

Good luck with your researches and I hope you find a really fulfilling career

Rob H.
  • I can't help on specific companies, but in my experience, a lot of companies consider anyone who has graduated in the last couple of years as a 'fresh' graduate, so don't feel like your current application will fail because you've already had a grad role :) You could actually use it as an advantage that you've worked a role before and aren't quite as 'green'!

• Upload your CV to somewhere like Total Jobs. The recruiters will start to ring you. They are a pain but you will start to get interviews which will at least give you a chance to look round some workplaces. Don't be afraid to turn down jobs that aren't right for you.
  • Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    You can also try E&T Jobs!

https://engineering-jobs.theiet.org/