This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Brain wiping!

Following the recent fuss surrounding whether Shamima Begum should return to the UK unhindered or have her British citizenship revoked, I was involved in a discussion about whether people with extremist views should have their brain electrically wiped as an alternative to incarceration or execution (by drones, snipers etc.).

Passing an electric current through a brain is capable of completely erasing all knowledge that the person has in a similar way to low level formatting a hard drive.

Would members of the IET approve of this procedure for criminals with extremist views as an alternative to being jailed for life? It will save the taxpayer large sums of money and the individual could potentially become a nice person in the future.
  • This is a dangerous ethical problem. We may have the capability to wipe memories (and I am not sure that we really do), but can this be done selectively? If it is selective, who makes the decision on which memories to wipe and how is it decided. More likely it is completely uncontrolled and all memories are wiped, in which case you have effectively retained the body but removed everything that makes them that person. Is this any different from execution? It would certainly not save money as there would need to be an intensive education program to replace all the memories and knowledge lost. It may be cheaper to implement a "re-education scheme", but would something like brain-washing be acceptable?

I suspect that this is a question that is best discussed in a forum where socio-political ethics are formulated rather than at the IET.

Alasdair
  • Two points.

1. This ("brain wiping") has actually happened to my former boss as a result of his brain being starved of oxygen following a heart attack. It is a horrible thing and I would not wish it on anybody.

2. The revoking of Shamima Begum's British citizenship appears to have wide support. Nevertheless we should step back and ask is it acceptable for a goverment minister to be able to do this without any legal hearing? If it can be done to her it could potentially be done to you or me.
  • John,

I was avoiding your point 2 because it is an emotive issue, but as you have brought it up I will chip in and say I agree with you. There is a fine balance between protecting the rights of the individual and protecting the nation (and by nation here, I mean the general populace rather than any individual or government in power). It is easy to slip across the boundary into a totalitarian state which we must avoid, and revoking citizenship without any appropriate legal checks and balances seems to me to cross the line.
  • The Babylon 5 episode Passing Through Gethsemane might make an interesting discussion piece here...

• John Mann:

Two points.

1. This ("brain wiping") has actually happened to my former boss as a result of his brain being starved of oxygen following a heart attack. It is a horrible thing and I would not wish it on anybody.

2. The revoking of Shamima Begum's British citizenship appears to have wide support. Nevertheless we should step back and ask is it acceptable for a goverment minister to be able to do this without any legal hearing? If it can be done to her it could potentially be done to you or me.

There was a 1960s doctor in the USA that practiced labotomies on disruptive/waywood children. Their behaviour being regarded as socially unacceptable in their communities. One chap who survived became a bus driver in later life . Most of the patients died early and the doctor boasted that he was able to achieve up to 23 labotomies in one day armed only with an ice pick shoved up the nose!  Enlightend or barbaric?

Its pretty obvious that this woman will pose a danger if allowed back into this country without continual competent monitoring. It also appears that she is likely to end up in Holland with her husband. where it could be argued that she could end up here anyway if we stay in Europe.

Legh