This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Motor Winding Pairs

Hi guys me again!

Motor winding pairs! When testing to make sure the motor windings are balanced in resistance, what are the pairs made up of? Is it U1/V2, V1/W2, W1/U2 or something completely different?

I did a google search and saw it went something like:   

W2   U2   V2

U1    V1   W1

I thought it was:

U2    V2     W2

U1    V1     W1

Making the pairs as I stated above because you place your probes diagonally to the previous one starting from the left if that makes sense, so u1 and v2, v1 and w2 and then w1 and u2. 

What pairs do you use for the winding resistance test please?
  • The induction motor will have three separate windings. The ends of one may be labelled U1 U2, the second widing V1 V2, and the third winding W1 W2. The resistance of each winding should be the same as the other two within reason. So you can separate the windings and test end to end to confirm  consistent results. If the motor is wired for star use, ends U2, V2 and W2 may be joined together and the other ends U1, V1 and W1 fed with a  three phase supply. So why not just disconnect the winding ends at the motor and test the resistances separately? Then reassemble the connections. For star delta connections the motor starter normally  has the correct markings shown in the wiring diagram inside it. By separating the windings electrically for testing you can insulation resistance test them separately, and test the winding resistances end to end separately as well.

C.
  • The Google search for a Delta connection is correct according to my text book. But motor manufacturers may use different end markings. 

U1  V1  W1

W2  U2  V2 is shown in the City and Guilds 2357 text book as being correct. (Unit 309).

C.
  • A video tutorial.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfXcXCB_RjE

• Surely the simple solution is to remove the separate connections to the windings and then test them - you should get open circuit between different windings and only get a reading when you test the two end pairs of the same winding.  It should come out as Clive has said, but if the connection labels have fallen off you will still get the correct readings.

That said, I am not sure what you are trying to achieve with your measurements. Do you suspect there is a problem with the motor? Or are you checking a new motor against the specification?

Alasdair
  • No no i was just after specific information on testing the windings.
  • As above with regarding the tests, continuity and insulation resistance. Don't forget to reconnect back to the intial orientation.take a photo first or before disconnection stick tabs around the terminal wires.

Star Delta operation will provide 6 terminals and do the switching using contactors.