This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Technology Roadmapping

Hi

Has anyone had much experience on how to display technology roadmaps? I'm struggling to show projects over the next five years in a way that makes sense as I'm trying to raise awareness of the importance of getting involved in more complex projects at earlier stages. In my mind I imagine a RAG approach with simple off the shelf solutions as green and potentially six months commitment to red at the other end of the scale as large, complex and two years commitment plus.

Any thoughts on this...?

Darren.

• Darren Gray:

Hi

Has anyone had much experience on how to display technology roadmaps? I'm struggling to show projects over the next five years in a way that makes sense as I'm trying to raise awareness of the importance of getting involved in more complex projects at earlier stages. In my mind I imagine a RAG approach with simple off the shelf solutions as green and potentially six months commitment to red at the other end of the scale as large, complex and two years commitment plus.

Any thoughts on this...?

Darren. 

Most of the ones I have seen have only used colour to make each development "thread" a different colour from the others.  They usually have a horizontal timeline, with "now" near the left end, far future on the right, and separate horizontal lines for each project being developed.  Diagonal lines may be used to join projects, or when a project forks.

I'm not sure the RAG approach is appropriate.  Given that green is good, and red is bad, it suggests that long-term projects are bad, and ones that are nearly ready are good.  So drop any long-term R&D, and just concentrate on bringing to market things that are ready now.  That way everything is green, and management are happy.

• Thanks, the RAG comment made me smile as it certainly makes sense which is why it's good to have a fresh perspective. Appreciate the feedback.