This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Parallel MCB with fuses to feed frequency drives

46764c050bc7511d6dcb732a28ff5099-huge-img_0667.jpg

Here you can see the frequency drive is connected to the feed via 50A fuses and in parallel with this is a 0.2A MCB. This then powers the frequency drive.

I think the 0.2A is for a pre stop to the drive and the status signal to the DCS. Could someone explain as I haven't seen this before.

• Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    Hello,

I would say to detect a blown fuse. If a fuse blows, the MCB will trip and that is monitored via aux contacts.

Regards,

Jon
  • Odd one that.

I hope the MCB has sufficient breaking capacity for the fault currents, also, how are they making the connections to the fuselinks?

Why not just use a 3 phase monitor?
  • The connections are parallel into the large fuse carrier and then single to the MCB. Very good point maybe a MCB cost less than a 3 phase monitor? We have approximately 10 of these MCC trays that feed our Frequency drives. The first one I saw, I thought there was a mistake so I checked the other trays and got the circuit diagrams to check the circuits, they are all the same. 

I thought I would share this with the community as this is the first time I have come across this.
    Hello,

Out of interest, what drives are they connect to? 

Regards,

Jon
    Are L1, L2 & L3 permenantly live?

It could be a "pre-charge" circuit, ours used to be internal, we would switch out a high resistance just after the 3ph was applied to the drive, to reduce the magnetising current in the inernal RLC filter etc. as inrush current limiting.

• The drives are connected to ABB variable frequency drives of different kW ratings 1.5kW up to 7.5kW about 10 of them each with there own MCB tray.

L1, L2 & L3 are permanently live and connected via the tray to the busbars then through an Isolator to the parallel fuses and MCB down to the drive.

Regards,

Steven