This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Foundation degree to BEng Top Up

Hello all,

I can imagine this question has been asked various times but I've not been able to find the answer I'm looking for.

Just under two years ago now I completed a foundation degree in electrical electronics, This was done via part time study on a day release. Two years on and I'm in an senior position within my company and can not afford to be out the office for a whole day. 

I really want to top up my foundation degree to a full accredited honours degree but I can not find a course that will do this. I'm happy to study weekends or a night if the university is near (Shropshire, West Midlands) or distance learning. 

Distance learning seems to be the one that best suits my situation but I'm struggling to find somewhere that had decent available contact hours. I'm very much a do'er than a reader, I would rather listen to someone as I take in information much quicker than reading. 

My question is, has anyone been in a similar situation and what have they done/doing about it?

I would prefer not to tell my company that I'm doing this and just get on with it.

Many thanks,

Anthony
  • Hi Anthony 

i completed an FdEng Electrical Power Engineering (Distribution) degree with Aston University, Birmingham 

last year. I was sponsored by my company and this was done by block release over two years.

i have now progressed onto the final year to top up to a BEng(hons) Professional Engineering (Power Systems) degree. This is all distance learning, with attendance for induction, exams and viva only (on various Saturdays during the programme). The programme runs over two years. Again it's sponsored by my work so the module assignments/dissertation will be work based.

they offer a couple of different BEng distance learning programmes, some of the others who where at our induction are doing a BEng(hons) Professional Engineering degree, where you have a choice of the main four modules (professional audit and work based project modules are core)

kind regards

stewart
  • Hello Steward,

i have seen seen this program and really interests me, I'm currently in discussion about the work based part of this course as ideally I don't want my work place to know about me taking this course (I know it sounds silly but I have my reasons) I'm hopefully they will allow or some up with a solution. The location is perfect and I've heard very good things about the course. 

When looking for a top up did you come across any other top ups? I would obviously be paying for this myself, hopefully with a student loan.

Regards,

Anthony
  • Hi Anthony,

I didn't look for any others as I did the FdEng at Aston, and this was the natural progression.

I'm sure they will be ok with it not being completely work based. I have heard of a few people who have done the course and not based it on work.

Kind regards

Stewart

Sent from my iPad
  • Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    Hi Anthony,

Sorry if this is a bit late to the discussion but I was in a similar position to you.

I found an Electronic Systems Engineering (Top-Up) BEng (Hons) course with The University of Portsmouth and started it in September 2016. It is either two or three years depending on your preference.

It is fully distance learning with attendance only required for exams and these can be taken anywhere in the world.

The learning is done primarily with video lectures which you can participate in and ask questions, with one per topic per week. The added bonus with this is that they are recorded and posted online if you cannot make the live sessions. There are also interactive quizes which help with understanding the topic. 

If you require any more information let me know, otherwise this is the link;

www.port.ac.uk/.../

Regards,

Nathan
  • Hi Nathan,

Thats excellent, exactly what im after at the very least, preferable id like a night course but is the distance learning is via video / live video then that would be excellent. ive had a look on there website and they dont do an electrical version of the course, electronics isnt really the route i wanted to take which is a real shame.

Ive emailed 15 different universities with only a responce from 2 so far, if i could across something ill post it in here for others searching a similar route to look upon.

Thanks again all,

Anthony
    Are there any accredited online engineering degrees available yet? I have a number friends doing advanced nursing degrees all online. The OU is pretty limited if you do not live in the UK.

Nathan - thanks for the info. I made comms with them and am waiting to hear whwether or not I am deemed worthy to do one of their top-up degrees
    AMason88:

Hi Nathan,

Thats excellent, exactly what im after at the very least, preferable id like a night course but is the distance learning is via video / live video then that would be excellent. ive had a look on there website and they dont do an electrical version of the course, electronics isnt really the route i wanted to take which is a real shame. Here you can find how to fill the money order 
    https://promoneysavings.com/how-to-fill-out-a-money-order/

Ive emailed 15 different universities with only a responce from 2 so far, if i could across something ill post it in here for others searching a similar route to look upon.

Thanks again all,

Anthony 

Hello there Mason

Could you share your experience on how you managed to repay your student loan during your education?