This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Control of the Speed of Ceiling Fan Running of UPS

Hello

It is observed that when main supply is failed and home appliances diverted on stand by supply i.e. UPS, for example, the speed of the ceiling Fan becomes un-controlled and it rotates at its maximum speed.  Conventional Dimmers consisting on Diac Triac Set can not control the speed of the Ceiling Fans while running on the UPS, causes, heating air to users.  Majority of the UPSs do not generate a true Sine Wave, is it the real problem.   While being facing this non-sinusoidal constraint, how can we overcome this.

Can someone suggest any cost effective solution please.  Thank you.
  • From the I.E.T. wiring Regulations forum for you. Have a look today. Either get a good quality sine wave output U.P.S., or a rotary converter with a sine wave output, or disconnect the fans during a short duration power cut. A petrol run generator may provine a pure sine wave output as well. Dimmer switches do not like the square wave output of cheap U.P.S. devices.

Bye,

Z.
  • Hello Clive

Thank you for your reply.

Suppose, i have such a UPS which have not providing a pure sine wave and i am using a coventional Dimmer too.  Is any special kind of Dimmer or related electronic device available in the market by which i could overcome the subject issue.

Other given solutions are costly.  Thank you.
  • To the best of my knowledge, there are no inexpensive devices that can replace a triac-controlled (phase control) dimmer in this application.

Most likely, you would need to consider replacing the phase control device with a pulsed controller using more expensive components. Heat sinking may also be an issue, as would ensuring that the switching frequencies of these don't align with the fundamental or harmonics of the UPS switching frequency. Even then, there's perhaps no guarantee that it would work.

Cheaper UPS are designed to feed a rectifier and reservoir capacitor in a switched mode power supply for information technology and similar equipment, hence their inability to feed the more complex AC power control applications.