Want to post a reply? You'll need to log in
Forum software
AJJewsbury
1764 Posts
Go on, I'll say it...

What is happening with the Forum software?

I think we've all noticed the change to put posts back in their correct chronological order by default (which I welcome!),

But we now have this wretched green "Auto Saved" box that keep popping up obstructing anything we type in the (tiny) reply box. (Did no-one spot that before go-live?)

We still have the niggling issue of posting a reply defaults back to the first page of a thread, so on longer threads a reply initially seems to vanish.

We're still missing any indication of the date/time or author of the latest reply to threads shown on the main index page (so unless we can memorise the previous number of replies to each thread it's impossible to judge whether any new replies have been posted).

I'd also add that navigation in general is much worst than with the old Forum - there I could see at a glance how many pages of replies there were and jump directly to any of those pages - here (I think) I need to open the first page and scroll right to the bottom before I can navigate to subsequent pages.

Can we expect any improvements?
    - Andy.
6 Replies
mapj1
2353 Posts
I suspect that actually the answer is not for a while.  I agree it is truly dire  but I imagine someone at the IET has committed to going with this supplier (personify /smallworld labs or whatever they are called today), and it would be difficult to politically justify the expense of admitting failure and terminating the contract early .
Meanwhile it seems that the suppliers themselves  are not interested in the user's opinions. Odd really as there are free bulletin board programs that work far better than this.
OMS
694 Posts
AJJewsbury:

Well, I said it at the time, but this is what happens when you shut down the public bar in the Axe and Cleaver - and then do a top show refit to turn it into a venue.

Bloody thing would fit in well in Shoreditch - it's akin to having yer egg and chips with HP on a robust china plate and a decent brew swapped for avo toast and pea shells served on a bit of slate with a flavoured water  - not what you wanted, but yer getting it anyway - it's called progress.

IET take note, this is beginning to really annoy people, please do get a grip.

Regards

OMS

Denis McMahon
266 Posts
AJJewsbury:
. . .
I think we've all noticed the change to put posts back in their correct chronological order by default (which I welcome!),
. . .
I'd also add that navigation in general is much worst than with the old Forum - there I could see at a glance how many pages of replies there were and jump directly to any of those pages - here (I think) I need to open the first page and scroll right to the bottom before I can navigate to subsequent pages.

- Andy.

Yes it is good that the sort order now defaults to the generally-preferred oldest posts first. It is also good that we have the option to switch to most recent first. If I have been regularly following a long topic, it is sometimes useful to have a quick check of the recently added posts.

The navigation problem that Andy mentions could be improved if page buttons appeared at the top of the page as well as the bottom. At present they are only at the bottom. Clicking one puts you at the bottom of the selected page, and you need to then scroll to the top. Who reads a page bottom-up? Buttons at both top and bottom of page should select top of page.

AJJewsburyDenis McMahon‍ the page buttons now appear at the top of the page as well as the bottom which should help.

We're aware of the problem with the auto-save and that should be fixed next week 👍
Denis McMahon
266 Posts
By Jove; that was a quick response - thank you!
Denis McMahon
266 Posts
AJJewsbury:
. . .
But we now have this wretched green "Auto Saved" box that keep popping up obstructing anything we type in the (tiny) reply box. (Did no-one spot that before go-live?)
. . .

Actually, I have found that if you continue to key in while the "Auto Save" box is obstructing the text, the new text does register and appears when the box disappears. It is a bit off-putting however. Clicking the X on the box does not make it disappear as one might expect.

Share:

Want to post a reply? You'll need to log in