Want to post a reply? You'll need to log in
Disgruntled IET Member
jcm 96351361
166 Posts

Please also make the forum more user  friendly, some times the forum is upside down if more than one page has to be selected, with the reply shown first rather than a reply to a question, something the providers may not know that threads go off topic and posters can have a argument about something else making it hard to follow if the reply is before the question.
 All these troubles, we are beginning to realize that the providers don't really care about the wiring and regulations forum members. The excellent fuse talk forums we used to have and lost, swallow pride and copy their format or  see below an easy to read forum should be (and still have room for advertisements).  
Regards JCM
Disgruntled  IET Member  
https://www.lse.co.uk/ShareChat.asp?ShareTicker=LLOY&share=Lloyds
7 Replies
Absolutely agreed! The new ridiculous 'top posting' thing makes about as much sense as it does in email: ie, NONE.

For me, I can no longer use the forum the way I used to, which was to middle click on each topic I liked the idea of, to get a new tab... then go through the tabs in order.  The new one is so riddled with scripting that attempting to hover over the link causes the topic to 'explode' down from the link and cover the link itself!
Obviously designed by the same people who design the NICEIC's site!
-2400- 11001209207
68 Posts
JCM   I share your frustration. As do many others if you see the posts in the feedback forum. But if you look at the scarcity of replies and engagement you will also see that there seems to be a general lack of acknowledgement of the situation. The fact that the pinned thread of known bugs hasn't been updated since April '19 shows the mindset.
I'm sure there is a rule (xxxxx's Law or whatever) amongst forum admins that people ALWAYS complain about a change and claim that the last one was better. But I use several forums, for a variety of different subjects, and can honestly say that this is by far the most user unfriendly of them.
Denis McMahon 14703551
245 Posts
The improvements to the presentation of this forum are far outweighed by problems, unpopular features and things that simply do not work well. If you look in the  Ask the IET / Online Community Support section you will see a whole slew of complaints. I suggest you add your points to that section. If enough of us make a fuss, maybe something will be done.
-2400- 11001209207
68 Posts
And the fact this thread has now been moved highlights my point about the general lack of acknowledgement and engagement. It has obviously been read - but no attempt to respond. It appears that the policy is to keep quiet in the hope the feedback goes away.
Denis McMahon 14703551
245 Posts
jcm:

. . .  see below an easy to read forum should be (and still have room for advertisements).  
Regards JCM
Disgruntled  IET Member  
https://www.lse.co.uk/ShareChat.asp?ShareTicker=LLOY&share=Lloyds

Thanks, JCM, for this link to another forum, which I have studied with interest. In style it is fairly similar to the IET one (as far as I can see as a visitor) but one very useful extra detail is date stamping. On the IET one at present there is no way to tell whether a topic is a hot one or whether the last post was so long ago that it is long forgotten by most and not worth a response.

Another forum I often visit has an overall appearance that is, at first glance, dated and prosaic. It does however have the following features:

• The topics list shows the date of the last post on each topic, and by whom.
  • The topics list indicates "hot topics", i.e. those where there has been a lot of recent discussion.
  • The topics list indicates any topics to which I have already contributed.
  • Within each topic, each post is date stamped. There may sometimes be a reason to revisit a topic that was last posted several weeks ago but usually we will want to spend out time more appropriately on the recent ones.
  • Within a topic the posts are chronological, latest last, so it is easy to read the narrative from top to bottom. I recognise that some - only some - members may prefer latest first but for goodness sake give us the choice on settings rather that foist it on us every time.
  • The forum has a means to send a private message to a contributor. The only way I can see to do this on the IET forum is to post something in that person's profile. I am not sure how private that this. Other members can access that profile. I don't want to nose into other members' profiles to see if there are any private messages visible to others.
This is a "social" type of forum for non-technical people, yet on user-friendliness and technical ease-of-use it beats the IET one hands-down.
I agree. navigating through the posts is a tedious caper. I thought I had adjusted the settings so that it read top first bottom last but then it changed to both top first and last. so you have to read the top post then go to the bottom to read the replies.. .... Might as well stuff the colour code as well
There you go .... diplomatic answer.
Legh
mapj1 80733779
2097 Posts
And the fact this thread has now been moved highlights my point about the general lack of acknowledgement and engagement. It has obviously been read - but no attempt to respond. It appears that the policy is to keep quiet in the hope the feedback goes away.

Which it won't, the feedback I mean, it really is utter crap and we all know  the IET have been sold a pup,and now it has been 'improved' to something vastly worse.. Tragically already you can see use falling off.

Want to post a reply? You'll need to log in