Read the topic below and log in to post a reply!

What is the system for being able to send and receive PMs, and is it right?

3 Replies - 163 Views

What is the system for being able to send and receive PMs, and is it right?

Posted by Andy Millar on Nov 13, 2018 11:14 am

Hi,

I've just had my second occasion where someone has sent me a PM, but I haven't been able to answer it because (if I've got this right) they don't have me as a contact.

What actually is the system? And can we do something about it? If someone directly asks me a private question it's a bit daft that the system won't let me answer it in case I interfere with their privacy! 

Oh, incidentally when this happens you just get a completely unhelpful box ping up at the top of the screen saying something like "Message send unsuccessful". 

I'm grumpy now - that's just wasted a load of time while I worked out what was going on. Mainly because that unhelpful message encouraged me to retype my entire (and quite long) message which, of course, I still couldn't send the second time. I've saved it in Notepad now. And my message is all about encouraging someone to volunteer for the IET!!!!!!!!!!!!!

angry

Thanks,

Andy
Andy Millar CEng CMgr IET Mentor / IET PRA uk.linkedin.com/in/millarandy

Re: What is the system for being able to send and receive PMs, and is it right?

Posted by Lisa Miles on Nov 13, 2018 12:04 pm

Hi Andy

Apologies for that.

The logic should be if you have your privacy settings set so no one can send you private messages then you should not be able to send private messages to anyone or if you have them set so that you only receive private messages from your contacts, then you should only be able to send messages to your contacts that allow it (i.e. the ability to send/receive messages needs to be reciprocal). 

However, it seems that something has gone wrong with that logic just lately. angry 

My colleague Elizabeth Morgan‍ is on it though...

Apologies again, I know from experience how frustrating and annoying it is! 

Personally though, I think it would be better if we took the 'contacts only' scenario out of the equation and simply allow PMs as a whole or not. So if you have them switched off, you can't send PMs full stop!
Lisa Miles - Online Community Manager, Engineering Communities

Posted by Andy Millar on Nov 13, 2018 12:44 pm

Personally though, I think it would be better if we took the 'contacts only' scenario out of the equation and simply allow PMs as a whole or not. So if you have them switched off, you can't send PMs full stop!

I can see the logic in being able to discreetly block individual senders, but given (certainly for me) the low volume of messages I receive I would have thought that could be done on a case by case basis.

The ideal would probably be something like LinkedIn where more-or-less the act of accepting and replying to a message automatically makes someone a contact.

Many thanks for poking this one smiley

Cheers,

Andy

Andy Millar CEng CMgr IET Mentor / IET PRA uk.linkedin.com/in/millarandy

Posted by Lisa Miles on Nov 13, 2018 12:57 pm

Many thanks for poking this one smiley

With a tree trunk sized stick Andy.... wink
Lisa Miles - Online Community Manager, Engineering Communities

Share:

Want to post a reply? You'll need to log in