This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

NHS add VAT to additions to wheel chairs

Did you know that if you have additions or alterations made to your wheel chair then you are obligued to pay VAT on top of paying the full cost of the applied service. It appears this specific service is run as a private business concern.

Further, if you return the chair back to the NHS you do not get the additions back or any financial renumeration. However, being the NHS they will continue to maintain and repair the chair free of charge.

It just seems to be a level of bazaarness to this set up. Maybe someone here might be able to share some NHS logic.

Legh
  • I think the logic was explained by 'Not the Nine O'Clock News' about 40 years ago - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BI7fudmO7FY
  • Lol.....wisdom of ages past. What strikes me as strange is that the NHS is beginning to advertise itself as a private business.

When I reflect a little, I have had certain treatments from private providers within the 'free health service' and some of the provision appears to be lacking in any compassion.

Legh
  • I don't have a definitive answer, except to speculate there is a HMRC regulation that requires the VAT to be charged on these modifications (and of course paid to HMRC).  If it is charged as VAT then it cannot be retained as "extra profit".  I was involved in a Blind Charity at one time (the term may be not preferred these days but that was what it was then), some items we purchased the VAT could be recovered, others not.  There is not a lot of logic.

Also, if the modifications to the wheelchair are to suit a particular patient requirement, the wheelchair may not be reusable.

David
  • Well, thanks for that info. It does sound familiar that all additions are not only paid in full but VAT is added but still doesn't make any sense.

However, a seat riser and night lights would be perfect to sell on to a man or woman about town. Presumably VAT goes on that too?

Legh