This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

NVQ L3/4 - is it worth it?

So, I am 22 now and I have just changed industry following a sponsored degree. 

I was doing my sponsored degree working in a wire harness manufacturing setting. My role included new product introduction, creating instructions, process improvement, and so on.

My new role is as a technical support engineer for a UPS company. I have managed to get settled in fairly quickly. Whilst I am probably some way off being fully knowledgeable in the role, I am able to get by day-to-day pretty much on my own. Of course, some of the niche problems or queries I have to ask about (especially where there is no literature) - but I like to think I am getting there! 

I completed my sponsored degree, but I was hoping to get a full apprenticeship. Unfortunately, due to unforeseen circumstances, I did not get the opportunity to complete a statutory apprenticeship. I did not enrol onto the competency qualification (NVQ/C&G/etc.) Now I have a BEng (Hons), but I feel I have missed out on the apprenticeship certificate and competency qualification.

My questions are: 

• Is it worth now looking at doing a work-based competency qualification? Is getting that NVQ going to help me improve as an engineer or help my career in future? 
  • Would I be better off at level 3, or just skipping to level 4? I completed a level 2 (including PEO) about 4 years ago
  • How much time off work does it require? Is it possible to complete just writing up assessment questions in the evenings/during breaks?
  • Finally, is my role suitable for an NVQ?
    • My main role is providing telephone support to field engineers and users. I read logs, wiring diagrams, manuals, and then interpret them to deduce the cause of faults and advise on actions to repair
    • I also provide support for network monitoring software and the associated hardware including for MODBUS and SNMP networking (setup, helping with faults, etc.) I am by no means an expert in this field
    • I create manuals/guides for our products to assist engineers and end users

Many thanks in advance!

• is it worth now looking at doing a work-based competency qualification? Is getting that NVQ going to help me improve as an engineer or help my career in future?
    • Would I be better off at level 3, or just skipping to level 4? I completed a level 2 (including PEO) about 4 years ago
    • How much time off work does it require? Is it possible to complete just writing up assessment questions in the evenings/during breaks?
    • Finally, is my role suitable for an NVQ?

Developing  competency based  skills have been very useful to me throughout my career. Level 3 appears to be the standard level for practical work, although design, inspection, testing and instrumentation might be regarded as closer to level 4.

I would suggest that night classes, if they still exist, and/or day release is perfectly reasonable as the work you are doing at present sounds interesting and varied. 

I'm not too sure how you might compare you specific role to any known NVQ. It depends where you want to be.

I did my degree in electronics and computing, but I did earlier qualifications in building services and electrical systems. I used to spend much of my time inspecting and testing, design and installation across a range of electrical systems.

Legh

• Thank you very much for sharing your experience and insight. It is very helpful! Fingers crossed things have not changed much in respect of night-classes/day-release. From my former colleagues, they seemed to do a lot of their NVQ work outside of work and their BTEC (or ONC/OND as it used to be) was day-release.

There will be more to my role in the not-too-distant future I am sure, including designing enclosures/panels as well as training field engineers. All very exciting stuff! Just wondering if my present role is sufficient for NVQ.

• ust wondering if my present role is sufficient for NVQ.

Which NVQ are you thinking about? 

I suspect you might be considering an NVQ in installing and maintaining electrical systems. 

For some reason that one has always appeared to have an elusiveness about it, although it is is only an NVQ, the same as hairdressing and motor vehicle maintenance.

Legh

• Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member

Hi Ethan,

So you are 22 years, you have completed a BEng (level 6), and you are now gaining on the job experience (and therefore developing new skills and competences), which is great. Why bother with a NVQ at this point - as you are a qualified (and now practicing) engineer.

If you (really) wish to pursue additional qualifications, I would suggest that your time and money could be better spent on doing a MEng or MSc (Eng) (level 7) (and make your research/project about something you care about - such as what you are doing now, maybe). Assuming that you completed your BEng in the UK, you may qualify for funding towards a second undergraduate degree (MEng). You could transfer/migrate credits from your degree to the MEng, which would mean an extra year of study. I believe there is fundung available for postgraduate level too (MSc), either of which you could complete on a part time basis (and online even). These qualifications could prove more useful should you wish to pursue a professional qualification (such as chartered engineer).

Best regards,

• Karl L: 

Hi Ethan,

So you are 22 years, you have completed a BEng (level 6), and you are now gaining on the job experience (and therefore developing new skills and competences), which is great. Why bother with a NVQ at this point - as you are a qualified (and now practicing) engineer.

I believe what Karl is saying to be the best route; you are gaining great experience in a workplace right now, employers value that the most. You have a degree, there’s no need to take on an NVQ unless you thought it was essential to your development. Your new employer is providing training and new workplace opportunities, keep up the good work!