This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

HNC/HND in electrical engineering

Im Currently employed full time as a maintenance electrician and have been given the opportunity to study a HNC but was thinking overall what is the pros/cons of going the HNC-HND-Degree as a pose to just studying straight towards a degree? 

• Hi,

Depends what you want:

HNC / HND will train you to become a better electrician - they'll give you a better understanding of why you're doing what you're doing. 

A degree will give you the opportunity to learn how to think about designing new electrical systems. It won't help with the day job, and might not even help get the next job. But it can take you further if that's where you want to go - and if you can find the right work experience to add to it.

So personally I'd say if you're really good at your job already then think about going straight for a degree - but don't expect miracles from it.

But if you first want to learn more about the day job and get better at it then personally I'd say go for HNC / HND first. 

This might all sound like I'm “knocking” degrees - I'd never do that, I think everyone who wants to do one should be encouraged and supported to do so. But people do need to go into them with their eyes open: they're great if you want to learn more about the subject, but they won't always help you do a better job or get a better job.

Cheers,

Andy

• Thank you Andy for your reply!