This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Electrician Title

There seems to be a case for a UK wide legislation for the same as the link below- A registered bod wtth any one of the schemes should be made mandatory. Also a householder should be only allowed to carry out the minimum .......... but to what extent and how to regulate as Gas Safe? Lobby your MP and your scheme provider.   
Quote: Scotland’s electrical industry has once again backed new legislation that will prevent anyone from calling themselves an electrician unless they have been certified. 

Jaymack

Scotland’s electrical industry once again backs protection of title legislation (electricalreview.co.uk)
  • Perhaps Jaymack, but what level of actual qualification is required? A simple open book regs exam is very far from suitable, at least without a much higher pass mark. One comes across this every day, members of "schemes" are often far from "qualified" in proper terms. Registration by itself is simply a money-making scam, it needs a correct level of qualification, monitoring and CPD. None of these things are in place or working.

I really don't know if Gas Safe works or not, but it is fairly expensive. Remember it was changed after Corgi proved unsatisfactory, we have the same problem with the schemes now.
  • I think that we get plenty of evidence in here to show that employing a registered electrician is no guarantee of sound work.
  • Just thought this might be an interesting read for any electricians wanting to achieve some form of professional registration: Electrician EngTech and Professional Registration
  • Hi Lisa

I think my next two steps should be MIET and then Eng tech. I believe I need sponsors of Eng tech and John Peckham - who I know well, has offered to sponsor me. 

How do I go about getting MIET? Or indeed, deciding if i forfil the criteria for MIET. I could search for this but as you've put the engtech bit here - MIET might be useful too?

Kind Regards
  • Hi Tatty

You'll find the criteria for MIET on our website too ?

Hope that helps? 

Lisa
  • The 2 current Competent Person Schemes are competent persons schemes in name only. They register "Enterprises " ( i.e. Companies or sole traders) those Enterprises have to have to have a person who has an assessment known as a QS. As the Parliamentary Select Committe looking at Part P determined " the person doing the work doing the work does not have to be qualified or competent in any way".

What is needed is an individual competence registration scheme the same as the gas registration scheme. The existing cash for logo schemes have fought against this for years. As a Post Office Technical officer  I had a technician do gas work for me but I had to get Corgi registered to deal with gas equipment on emergency call outs. You did a gas safety course as a basic qualification then added endorsements to the back of your card for me it was gas boilers, commercial gas catering equipment and LPG. You had to do a 5 day course every 5 years and be re- assessed. As an engineering manager I kept up my currency every 5 years going back to the Post Office Technical College and as an added benefit the accommodation, catering and night life were excellent.

Corgi did not loose the contract through any deficiency that had to tender to run the scheme for the government and lost on price to Capita.

So why not an individual competence scheme  with the minimum qualification of Level 3 Installation, 18th Edition and Level 3 Inspect and Test to qualify to use the title LV installation electrician with endorsements on the back of a photo card for things like fire alarms,!emergency lighting, PV , EV charging, battery storage etc.
  • A registered bod wtth any one of the schemes should be made mandatory. Also a householder should be only allowed to carry out the minimum .......... but to what extent and how to regulate as Gas Safe? Lobby your MP and your scheme provider.

Please no. No mandatory registration of so called "competent persons schemes". The link provided from electrical review in the OP is for SJIB. Now that is more preferable as it is for individual competence, similar to the  ECS/JIB "registered electrician" card.