This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

What are the best STEM degrees for careers of the future?

Former Community Member
Former Community Member
I've written an article, which compiles various STEM degrees that show promise for students who want to work in STEM domains. 

https://successfulstudent.org/best-stem-degrees-for-careers-of-the-future/

Did I miss anything? Is there a new or more relevant STEM degree field that's missing?  

Thanks. This website is designed to help students make sense of education. 

Jake
  • Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    Have you included the work that NASA, and Elon Musk are doing, where degrees in space science and engineering are required? Also degrees in Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, and Planetary Geology are relevent to STEM careers. NASA - ISS, Perseverance robot on Mars, etc.

There are also degrees in Computer Science - Super Computing and Artificial Intelligence relevent to STEM careers; and Internet science and engineering - CISCO Systems and cabling infrastructure - Fibre and Copper based products and cables.

Also Broadcasting industries - Digital and Analogue - copper/Fibre/Microwave/Satellite.

I would search university courses to see precise science and engineering degrees being offered.

Hope that helps.
  • I'd put a different take on this, to be really prepared for next-generation technologies I'd suggest the best STEM degrees are (in no particular order):
    • Maths

• Physics

• Chemistry

• Biology

• Mechanical Engineering

• Electronics Engineering

• Electrical Engineering

• Civil Engineering

• Software Engineering / Computer Science

• Etc

Basically all the STEM subjects but NOT specific to applications. Applications of technology date very, very quickly, but the underlying principles and approaches last longer. Or to look at it another way, employers understand and can train in the applications, what they need from graduates is an understanding of how to approach the subject, and the latest understanding of the basic principles.

Sorry that's not a very cool and exciting list...

Cheers,

Andy
    I guess the Engineering Council's list of PEIs  covers pretty much the whole range of engineering activities below.

https://www.engc.org.uk/about-us/our-partners/professional-engineering-institutions/

Then you have the list of scientific bodies associated with the Science Council below.

https://sciencecouncil.org/about-us/our-members-and-licensed-bodies/

Hope that helps.
  • Andy Millar:

I'd put a different take on this, to be really prepared for next-generation technologies I'd suggest the best STEM degrees are (in no particular order):
    • Maths

• Physics

• Chemistry

• Biology

• Mechanical Engineering

• Electronics Engineering

• Electrical Engineering

• Civil Engineering

• Software Engineering / Computer Science

• Etc

Basically all the STEM subjects but NOT specific to applications. Applications of technology date very, very quickly, but the underlying principles and approaches last longer. Or to look at it another way, employers understand and can train in the applications, what they need from graduates is an understanding of how to approach the subject, and the latest understanding of the basic principles.

Sorry that's not a very cool and exciting list...

Cheers,

Andy

??????????

What about degrees in cyber security and video game development? Are they worthwhile or not?

What exactly does a STEM degree signify compared to another non-degree higher level STEM qualification? Are many STEM degrees too abstract for the needs and requirements of industry and the economy in Britain?

Hi Arran, 

If you look at the original post above, and click (or tap) on the link, you'll see that they have already listed games and cyber security, and many other STEM based courses. The OP is mainly interested in listing US degree courses, but of course in the UK higher nationals and CGLI courses, as well as commercial courses offered by employers to employees are also available.

• mbirdi:

Hi Arran, 

If you look at the original post above, and click (or tap) on the link, you'll see that they have already listed games and cyber security, and many other STEM based courses. The OP is mainly interested in listing US degree courses, but of course in the UK higher nationals and CGLI courses, as well as commercial courses offered by employers to employees are also available.

It is American. I'm more interested in something specific to the UK with our own economy, and our current and future industries and job market.
    I agree with you.

Cheers,